Moisture Meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
I have been using the yellow one for three years or so. Works fine for me.

Ditto on the yellow centech. Very satisfied. The only thing, I found it took 3 weeks to ship . . . which may not matter this time of the year.

I would recommend 2 pins over 4, much easier to get the pins in since we're not talkin about finished wood. Drill holes, don't try to jam the pins in.

Check ebay as well. Just bought a two pin alot like the four pin on your thread for $19 + $7 shipping. Tried it out yesterday and seams to work great.

Yep, the yellow one is on year 2 for me as well. Never a problem, except the cheap chinese battery died quickly.

So many have that yellow meter. I happened to find one at HF yesterday, (and bought it of course), but I don't think it's working.

The manual says to test it by shorting the pins with metal, thus resulting in the bottom LED lighting (while pressing the low side button). I can't get it to do anything in this situation.

I tried it on several different woods, and some actually showed some activity, always on the low side. The high (16-35%) has never lit for anything.

The 9v battery checks to 10v.
When either button is pushed, the Lo Batt light flashes briefly. I was assuming this to be normal, but is it?

Is this anyone else's experience, especially the shorted pin test? I plan to return it today, but they only had one other on the shelf.
Thanks,

granpajohn said:
So many have that yellow meter. I happened to find one at HF yesterday, (and bought it of course), but I don't think it's working.

The manual says to test it by shorting the pins with metal, thus resulting in the bottom LED lighting (while pressing the low side button). I can't get it to do anything in this situation.

I tried it on several different woods, and some actually showed some activity, always on the low side. The high (16-35%) has never lit for anything.

The 9v battery checks to 10v.
When either button is pushed, the Lo Batt light flashes briefly. I was assuming this to be normal, but is it?

Is this anyone else's experience, especially the shorted pin test? I plan to return it today, but they only had one other on the shelf.
Thanks,

Sounds kinda flaky to me. Being brand new, I think I would take it in and trade it for a different one.

I stopped in my local H.F. store yesterday and they do not carry them, they had other centech item such as calipers, micrometers, tape measures, etc but no moisture meters

Yeah they have a different one on sale right now, ($9.89 or something) that's actually a stud sensor with moisture detector. I'd have gone for that, but it only goes up to 22% MC, and I don't see the point in having a meter for wood that's already good to burn. I wanna look at wet wood and estimate how far it has to go.

This one, recommended by others here, was found on a nearby shelf with no price tag or anything. If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldn't have known to buy it. That's the saddness of it all: I was thinking I got the (almost) last one, and it's just what I need, and nothing ever goes my way like this. Then I get it home and find out that I still never get the breaks. Sigh.

Well, I'll go in there and see what Mr. HF thinks. Worst case, I get my $15 back.

If I bought wood I'd absolutely have a moisture meter...for the price you can't beat 'em. Seeing as we harvest our own wood were sort of masters of our own domain these no reason for it since all firewood is C&S;a year ahead.

I realize I may belabor this subject, but I wanted to conclude the thread for future searchers, lest I dishonor the mighty Harbor Freight name and reputation. (OK, a touch of sarcasm, but still...)

I did trade the meter for the last one on the shelf, and yes it does work. In fact, a 10 minute test session turned into about a half hour with splitting maul and drill, wandering from woodpile to woodpile. A rather entertaining little device for $15.

And, HF treated me fairly and exchanged it with no paperwork, no problem.

Thanks for all the info and reviews of the yellow two pin meter. I just ordered one from HF. Would not have known about this had it not been for Hearth.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.