Moisture meters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
Michigan
It sounds like many of you measure moisture content. Do you have a favored meter?

I've heard people say they tell by knocking the wood together. I'm sure this works for some, but to me this is like thumping a watermelon - which I also don't seem to be able to rely on either.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have used a few different ones, they all worked the same. I wouldn't go out and spend much money, there's no need to. A.W. Perkins has a pretty nice one.
Knocking two pieces of wood together is as reliable as shaking the back of your car to see how much gas is in it. If you want to be accurate, get a meter.

Reactions: jeff_t
I paid $11 for mine from Harbor Freight. I don't put much faith in it, but most of the time I think it's pretty close. Different wood brings different readings, I believe. I have a hard time believing cherry that I split last summer is at 15%, but the oak I split a year and a half ago seems about right at 29-30%.

I don't expect much from HF tools.

I think they're most useful for helping you learn to recognize what dry firewood looks. feels and sounds like. Once you're handled a bunch of firewood at different stages of the seasoning process, and gotten familiar with the species that grow in your area, the meter will probably just gather dust, which is fine. Learn about the limitations of electronic meters (above 30% MC they are very inaccurate; readings are affected by species and temperature; readings reflect the highest MC that the pins are actually touching, i.e. they can't read the MC in the center of a split without either splitting it into 2 pieces to expose the center, or driving nails in as pin extensions). If you use a meter incorrectly, the results are meaningless.

I use mine every now and then but it depends on the size of the split and bark on or bark off. The whole pile will season at the same rate more or less so just grab a random one split it inhalf and use your moisture meter on the inside of the split. Lacking a meter just put the same spot to your cheek if it feels cold it is not ready. Nothing I invented but learned here and can not remember who told me but it does work well and fast.

I have these two and they both work the same http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-mini-moisture-meter-67143.html
http://www.lowes.com/pd_78059-56005-MMD4E_0__

If you split a piece and it reads 20 to 25% you know it will burn but not that great, If it reads 15% it will burn good,for firewood, doesn't matter what kind of wood it is.
For me right now, it is a must have tool, and I will continue to use one, just not as much.
For the firewood, I end up using the HF meter, it's small fits in pocket, powers on fast, turns it's self off, as does the General Tools meter.
For $12.99 The HF meter works just fine for firewood.
I checked splits at 15 and 25% can't tell any difference between the two by banging the wood together, at 35-40 % I could tell the difference, compared to 15%

Thanks!

This thread seems to look odd in the list -- no replies or views -- just an arrow in that column.

Maybe I mucked something up when creating this?
Its just a $20 tool to give you a reference. Don't over think it.

Reactions: HDRock
This thread seems to look odd in the list -- no replies or views -- just an arrow in that column.

Maybe I mucked something up when creating this?

That's what you see when a moderator moves it to a more appropriate forum.

I wood recommend a $12 unit on Ebay with a case and battery, free shipping. The grey ones with 2 buttons (on/off and hold) and large LCD display. Your choice, 2 or 4 pin. I bought a 2 pin, got a 4 pin in the mail, sent them an email about it, they refunded me $5 for the mix up. 4 pin works but its harder to get all the pins into the wood. Accurate enough for firewood though, they work fast and read easy with the large display. Simple enough.

20% and less moisture wood burns just fine in my stoves. Below 20%, for every 1% more moisture it is only about 1% less heat. I take a random sample of several splits in the stacks and burn or wait, accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.