Moisture readings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I took some pics this morning of wood I have gotten over the past month or so. It sprinkled over night here in Indiana so I think the reading was affected a bit. I know I took the reading of the white oak and black cherry yesterday when I got them and they both were under 15%.

I don't have the best meter, but it does what I need for me own testings. I thought the guys would find interest in my readings.

Shipper

Attachments

• Seasoned Cherry_600_450.jpg
    Seasoned Cherry_600_450.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 650
  • Seasoned white oak_600_450.jpg
    Seasoned white oak_600_450.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 663
  • 0ne month Hickory_600_450.jpg
    0ne month Hickory_600_450.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 656
  • One week Maple_600_450.jpg
    One week Maple_600_450.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 644
Hey Shipper, did you just split those to get the readings? I always check mine after splitting again for accurate moisture content
readings. I split some white oak couple months ago, the outsides will read less than 20% but the inside will be 35%+...

Shipper50 said:
I took some pics this morning of wood I have gotten over the past month or so. It sprinkled over night here in Indiana so I think the reading was affected a bit. I know I took the reading of the white oak and black cherry yesterday when I got them and they both were under 15%.

I don't have the best meter, but it does what I need for me own testings. I thought the guys would find interest in my readings.

Shipper

Just to make sure your readings are correct as possible, you should split a few of those pieces and test on the inside. You'll be amazed at the difference!

3fordasho said:
Hey Shipper, did you just split those to get the readings? I always check mine after splitting again for accurate moisture content
readings. I split some white oak couple months ago, the outsides will read less than 20% but the inside will be 35%+...
I bought the cherry and white oak yesterday from a guy who with his son they split their wood by hand. He said the wood was around a year old and the price is very right.

I did split the white oak again and took another moister reading and it did read 30%. Would you split this wood again since its all big quarters? How much would I gain by going through the hassle of splitting?

Thanks
Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I did split the white oak again and took another moister reading and it did read 30%. Would you split this wood again since its all big quarters? How much would I gain by going through the hassle of splitting?

Thanks
Shipper

I think you would gain quite a bit just by splitting them in half or smaller. I got my H2O meter a few weeks ago and was doing some experimenting with big and small splits.

The batch of wood I experimented on was cut and split on the same day from the same tree (pecan). I considered small splits 2-inch or less across and large splits any thing bigger than that. I drilled half-inch deep holes with a quarter-inch bit to gain inside readings. The small splits were 18 to 24-percent moisture on the inside. The large splits read 18 to 27-percent moisture. A couple 3-inch by 20inch long rounds were split and both recorded 30-percent moisture and over near the center of the length and read an average of 26-percent moisture about 2-inches from the ends.

BJ64 said:
Shipper50 said:

Thanks
Shipper

I think you would gain quite a bit just by splitting them in half or smaller. I got my H2O meter a few weeks ago and was doing some experimenting with big and small splits.

The batch of wood I experimented on was cut and split on the same day from the same tree (pecan). I considered small splits 2-inch or less across and large splits any thing bigger than that. I drilled half-inch deep holes with a quarter-inch bit to gain inside readings. The small splits were 18 to 24-percent moisture on the inside. The large splits read 18 to 27-percent moisture. A couple 3-inch by 20inch long rounds were split and both recorded 30-percent moisture and over near the center of the length and read an average of 26-percent moisture about 2-inches from the ends.[/quote

I did split it again and the below picture is what I got out of a pick up load from the guy.

I hope it was worth the effort, its tough doing it as a one man crew :lol:

Shipper

Attachments

• hert lane 072_600_450.jpg
    hert lane 072_600_450.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 570
Status
Not open for further replies.