"Monster Maul" from the late 70's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add to this old thread...

The "Monster Maul" was made by (Leonard) Sotz Mfg. in Columbia Station, Ohio. I think it weighed in at around 18 pounds; if I can dig mine out of the shed I will weigh it sometime.

The company is no longer in business.

They also made a "ladies maul" (a bit smaller and lighter), a log-lifting device (to hold end of the log off of the ground while sawing) and kits to turn steel drums into woodstoves.

The drum kit would permit you to put a tight-fitting loading door and pipe collar onto a steel drum. IIRC, there was a 30 gal. drum version and a 55 gal. drum version. If you really wanted to have a fine stove, you would configure it with two drums - fire in the bottom drum, top drum acted as smoke chamber/heat exchanger.

The guy we're getting all our red oak from right now uses one of these. It's mean!

JBinOH said:
I love it.
And I'd love to challenge somebody with a big gas splitter to a contest to see who can split a big pile of wood faster. This thing explodes the wood in one or two swings.
In fact, that's the only drawback: not good to have friends and family nearby (as in, within 15 feet!) when using it because the split can really go flying.

My moneys' on the monster maul.

My wife likes to get her Grandfather's monster out every once in a while. The next time I'm sitting in an Adirondack chair drinking a beer watching her, I'll take a picture of the bruise she gets from the curve of her neck all the way over her shoulder when she can't hold it up any more yet doesn't want to put it down without swinging. While I agree with the productivity on the first 100 pieces especially if you have someone lining them up and removing the splits, there are only so many swings of that maul in me in a day.

NAMELESSLEE said:
JBinOH said:
Great. Bring a giant pile of red oak to my place so we can get started! ; )

I'll join in too on this challenge.
Unless this splitter has a 4 way and less than 10 second cycle times I know I can blow it out of the water on 100 pieces.

Awww... I was kinda looking forward to somebody taking on my splitter. Even if it's only 100 pieces....

IMG_4503.jpg

:) :)

Seriously, I've got the utmost respect for you guys that can spit all your wood by hand, I just can't do it consistently enough to rely on it to get the job done fast. To many knots, crotches, and 24"+ monsters...

If somebody local wants to try out a monster maul, I've got one I'd let go..... for say 100 splits? ;)

I think the handle is shorter because of the mass of the head.

Good contest might be two splitters with mauls vs two guys feeding and operating a power splitter while eating quiche.

My dad's had one ever since i can remember! I use to try and swing that sucker as a kid and get my butt handed to me. One day it just dissapeared and we didnt find it until a yr later! It was buried under a pile of pine our buddy dropped off haha. Now we have two of em!

flyingcow said:
Bubbavh said:
My brother just finished rebuilding an older Super Splitter he picked up for $100. Holy crap is that thing fast!

here is a sample video. I don't think 2 guys with monster mauls could keep up with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ08...ficial&client=firefox&feature=player_embedded

It alomost looks to good to be true. I'd like to try one out or a demo at a show. The one your brother has, have you seen it operate? How much to rebuild?

I've used it with him and plan on borrowing it real soon. It is the fastest splitter I've ever used. He doesn't have the table like the one in the video, but it may be in the works.

It only cost about $50 to get it going again. The guy thought the motor was bad (5hp Honda) it wasn't... carb just needed a good cleaning and some new drive belts and a muffler. It works off 2 big flywheels and the ram is gear driven.

Just keep your hands clear cause it moves fast!

I used that maul as a kid and am still using it 25 years later as my first choice.

I went out and got one at tractor supply. I thought it would just explode the rounds like others here say. It isn't any better than my 8lb plain jane maul. All of the hand tools suck compared to a hydraulic or power splitter. I realize we're all Paul Bunyan wannabes but most of my wood has crotches in them. Scroungers don't get lots of straight oak with no limbs for the first 60 feet. It just doesn't happen. We get 30" rounds that have 5 branches jutting out from them. Go ahead and split that with the monster maul. I tried. After about the 20th time swinging that into the first round I had to quit or pass out. It's all so silly. If you are looking for the easy way to split then go ahead and buy a splitter. Once you bite the bullet and do it, the price you paid will seem low after the first few times you use it. Seriously. I'm not saying everyone here is liars, please don't misunderstand what I'm saying.... The monster maul didn't do the job I had bought it for. I personally like the little maul over it because I can get more speed. If anyone is in the south Atlanta area and wants to take up a race between a monster maul and a hydraulic splitter then feel free to let me know. I've still got a ton of wood to split and stack and a contest seems like a good way to get others to do my work for me ;-).

drdoct said:
The monster maul didn't do the job I had bought it for.

Maybe something is wrong with the motor...

AKA

It 'aint the chariot, it's the horse. ;)

In all seriousness, do they still sell genuine monster mauls? Biggest I've seen on the market is a 14 pounder with, as others have mentioned, a short handle. I have one of the originals, just like the one in the OP's pick but with a little less of the orange paint left on it, and it wouldn't weigh in at 14lbs if you cut off the handle and put it on Jenny Craig for a month.

meathead said:
drdoct said:
The monster maul didn't do the job I had bought it for.

Maybe something is wrong with the motor...
LOL

The amateur always blames his tools.

Motor could definitely be tuned up. I just fell for the whole posts about how awesome this hand splitter is and how awesome that axe is and how the wood just cringes in it's sight. Sure lots of straight wood splits easily, but it wasn't that wood that I got it for. If you're a hand splitter who is looking for an easier way to split wood then I'm saying don't keep buying different mauls and axes.... just buy the darned splitter and get it over with. It's just that all these Fiskar/mega maul/whatever new hand tool posts seem to make it as if the tool will make it all easier and faster than a hydraulic splitter. Heck it almost stacks it's self! Why I just got finished splitting and stacking 10 cords by hand all the while typing here on hearth.com. I'll say it again. All Paul Bunyon types will want to avert their eyes as I try to do my public service for the rest. IF YOU ARE HAND SPLITTING AND LOOKING FOR AN EASIER SOLUTION THEN JUST BUY THE HYDRAULIC SPLITTER, IT'S COST WILL SEEM LIKE NOTHING AFTER YOU SPLIT A FEW CORDS.

i read alot of this but not all , i just found it . i have a friend ,( yes i do) she is 53 years old and has been splitting wood with her monster maul since im thinking she said , 1980. she said it weighs 20 lbs , and i beleve her . hoot

I love this thread. I hope it goes on forever. Pretty soon, someone will compose a folk tale of a large lumberman with a Monster Maul splitting more wood than a guy with a newfangled hydraulic splitter.

I have a Monster Maul also - the "real one" (at least not the TSC variety). Bought it at a local hardware store about 10 years ago. I don't use it as much anymore, but I liked it. I also have a Fiskars-style splitter. I like that too. I also use a hydraulic splitter. I like that too.

I split big rounds with the hydraulic splitter when they are green. That is great - it takes the big wet stuff that can be heard to split and makes it smaller and allows faster seasoning/drying.

Then, during the winter season, I'll take the quarter splits (some 10-12" on a side) and split them smaller with the Fiskars-style splitter. I have a small stove, and the splits can't be big. I like doing the hand splitting since it gives me exercise in the wintertime when I am less likely to be getting it. Also, it keeps my shoulder muscles in good shape (necessary due to some old shoulder injuries). Sometimes, I'll still break out that Monster Maul to split a really tough piece.

Note: never use a Monster Maul while standing on grass. One time, I was splitting with that thing and my foot moved ever so slightly when the Maul was overhead, and I had a nice (luckily minor) groin muscle pull to show for it. Lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.