Montgomery Ward AS-5710A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MT_Cold

Sep 11, 2019
Townsend, Montana
Hi! I'm looking for help on an old Montgomery Ward wood stove. It has external metal panels around the firebox and a 6 inch rear out. The firebox has no bricks and the sides of the firebox have detachable cast plates with holes inside. I'm trying to make it safe and and give it a paint job, but I want to check with experts where I should start. The plate that blocks the flame is small and concerned me that a lot of fire would go up the pipe. Can I modify the box to block the flame? Should I add firebricks? Any help would be great! Thanks!

IMG_6477.JPG IMG_6478.JPG IMG_6479.JPG IMG_6480.JPG IMG_6481.JPG IMG_6482.JPG IMG_6484.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The cracks in the plates are not too promising. They are just going to get worse. At best this stove is going to eat wood like candy. Personally I'd pass on a project stove like this. There are affordable good stoves that will do a far better job of heating with much less wood.

Drilled holes at the ends of the cracks to stop them from running.

Attachments

• IMG_6548.JPG
    IMG_6548.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_6549.JPG
    IMG_6549.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_6550.JPG
    IMG_6550.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 203