Montpelier II insert ACC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ppellet684

Feb 16, 2022
New England
Purchased the Montpelier II and having difficulty keeping a fire going. Seems to die despite a hot firebed and I have to leave the door open a bit. I have a question about the ACC….When first installed pushing in the ACC knob and pulling it out would start the timer…The company that installed the unit could not tell me what it actually did and I have lost all confidence in them.
Fast forward to this week. I had them come in and route the power cord to the right instead of the left. After that I heard the timer on the ACC. So now if I push the ACC in all the way and leave it, the unit starts up and pushes the knob out on its own about a 1/2 inch before it stops. Is it supposed to do this? Previously pushing in the ACC and leaving it there stopped the timer which wouldn’t start until I pulled out the handle. What did they do moving the cord and does it matter? I feel they’re too inept to call again. Any input is appreciated.

Changing the cord over shouldn't have affected the ACC unless they bent the lever rod or created an obstruction of some sort. I'm wondering if the ACC control is binding now, perhaps on the surrounding face of the insert? I am speculating that this might happen if the insert is now a skosh lower than when originally installed and now resting just slightly on the front face?

Changing the cord over shouldn't have affected the ACC unless they bent the lever rod or created an obstruction of some sort. I'm wondering if the ACC control is binding now, perhaps on the surrounding face of the insert? I am speculating that this might happen if the insert is now a skosh lower than when originally installed and now resting just slightly on the front face?
It looks clear of the surrounding face. It’s just that before, if I pushed the knob in it STAYED put and prevented the ACC from functioning until I pulled it out. Now, the ACC timer starts up and will push out the handle 1/4-1/2 inch then stop unless I pull the knob out all the way. It’s weird that it wasn’t doing that before. I’m so disappointed in the unit and the company that installed it.

I'll have to check tomorrow on mine when the timer actually starts ticking, but I always just push it in and pull it back out. I don't know if mine pushes the handle back out if I leave it pushed in. What happens when you pull the knob out all the way?
I don't really see how it matters anyway. I never use the ACC on reloads, only on startup.
How tall is your chimney and how dry is your wood? If I use the ACC on a reload the fire will get way too hot and I'll see flames go way past the stove exit/ liner entrance, so I never use it.

I'll have to check tomorrow on mine when the timer actually starts ticking, but I always just push it in and pull it back out. I don't know if mine pushes the handle back out if I leave it pushed in. What happens when you pull the knob out all the way?
I don't really see how it matters anyway. I never use the ACC on reloads, only on startup.
How tall is your chimney and how dry is your wood? If I use the ACC on a reload the fire will get way too hot and I'll see flames go way past the stove exit/ liner entrance, so I never use it.
When I pull the handle out the ACC seems to work as it should. My chimney is about 14-15 feet at most as it’s a single level ranch. The wood is fairly dry, maybe could be drier but as I said if I leave the door open 1/4 inch the fire goes great. When I close it and use the ACC not so much.
Thank you for any input provided.

When I pull the handle out the ACC seems to work as it should. My chimney is about 14-15 feet at most as it’s a single level ranch. The wood is fairly dry, maybe could be drier but as I said if I leave the door open 1/4 inch the fire goes great. When I close it and use the ACC not so much.
Thank you for any input provided.
I just checked mine, and I don’t have to pull the rod out for it to activate, so something may be bent on yours. I’ve found that this stove breathes very easy and likes to burn at inferno rate, my chimney is 18-19ft.
Do you have access to a moisture meter? If not, you may want to invest in one, they can be had for 30-50$, that would single out your wood being the problem

So if I understand correctly….you push the handle in, the ACC begins to operate and pushes the handle back out? That is NOT the case with me so I will definitely look into that. Thank you. And yes, I think I’ll spring for a moisture meter too.

So if I understand correctly….you push the handle in, the ACC begins to operate and pushes the handle back out? That is NOT the case with me so I will definitely look into that. Thank you. And yes, I think I’ll spring for a moisture meter too.
Yes you are correct, I just push it in and it comes back out. I can also pull it back out as soon as I've pushed it in, but that makes no difference to how it operates on mine.
Wet wood will definitely make for a bad experience. I got my hands on a bunch of pallets made of true 2x4 and 4x4 oak, for holding huge wire spools. I tested that wood and found it around 13%. I thought sweet, I can burn this right away. Some of it burned good, some of it burned like you describe. I got to testing more pieces, and some were 13%, some were 20, and some were like 28. Needless to say I stacked it all with the green stuff and I'll give it another shot in a year or two.

The ACC rod might have been binding slightly before and now it is not.

Well, the biggest issue is NO ONE could explain to me how the ACC worked. I now have an understanding of how it works and can see the small damper that opens. This forum has been very helpful and I appreciate the replies. According to ANOTHER fireplace company this is supposed to be an excellent unit. My assessment at this time is that when it was installed for some reason the ACC wasn’t opening or working properly. It seems to be working now and understanding how it works is helpful. Any issue now is NOT the unit but rather, wood that is too wet, not enough draw (likely due to wet wood) or USER incompetence. I’m ok with that. I grew up with fireplace in the house but can see that wood stoves are different.
On a plus note. I’ve had it going since last night and my gas heat has not turned on yet and it’s cold here in New England today.
Thank you all for your help and advice