• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predikate

Oct 23, 2016
New Englahd
Hello - trying to find an insert that will conform to our small size. It looks like the Voyager (Quadrafire) and the Montpelier (VC) will both suit. There seems to be a lot of bad feeling about the Montpelier on the forums, but a lot of that seems to be older posts (circa 2008?)
Does anyone have any current thoughts on the pros and cons of the two? The Montpelier looks like it's going to fit more easily, but seems to have way more complaints than the Voyager...

Well...ultimately it turns out we really don't have room for the Voyageur, so we're going with the Montpelier. Installation expected in about a month....Will keep you posted?
K

Reactions: Tracks74
Well...ultimately it turns out we really don't have room for the Voyageur, so we're going with the Montpelier. Installation expected in about a month....Will keep you posted?
K
I have the Montpelier for 2 years now, it's not a bad unit but I have some flaws with mine. It smokes pretty bad when reloading it or lighting it. My old insert never did it. Does not seem to be air tight, can't get a good overnight burn. There customer service does not exist. An for me there's only 1 dealer around me an he is horrible. There is some good things, nice big viewing window, average size fire box, easy install, Hope this helps,

I used a Montpellier for a couple of years. Worked great, then we added on to our house and it was a bit small for 2800 ft in a Canadian cold spell. I am selling it now but I am a bit of a drive for you guys

I have the Montpelier. Overall experience positive. However, my house is 1600 sq feet. I think that is about the limit for this medium sized unit. Having said that, both my wife And myself do not like super high heat. Pluses are great viewing window for the fire, easy to operate. Negatives are firebrick panels that crack and crumble...I've had to replace a few. Low burn times. 5 hours is about the max you'll get with useful heat output.

I am now in my third season with my Montpelier. It has worked well in my 2500sqft home. My house is really well insulated so it does quite well. I use a makita fan to help move warm air into the second floor. The insert has worked well without any problems. I did take a bit of time to master getting a good fire going. If I had to replace it I would get the same unit again

Status
Not open for further replies.