More Quadrafire woes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coog

Burning Hunk
Aug 28, 2012
North West Illinois
So I just installed the new Quadrafire 7100 a couple of months ago and was getting decent burn times but not what I was hoping. Kinda sluggish. Coughed it up to an inexperience with the stove. Then I noticed that the glass was getting dirty. Thought maybe I had wet wood. Went to my brother's house and used some of his 10 plus year, been sitting in the shed, wood. Burn times were no better and the glass continued to blacken even after some 700 and 800 degree stove top temp fires.

Called my fireplace store and told them about my problem and they asked me all of the same questions, "burning with seasoned wood? Not chokin' it down too far are ya? What is your chimney height? None of this was the problem.

To my surprise, they sent two technicians to my house, from Hearth and Home, and they were very helpful, polite, and knowledgeable. They determined that an interior firebox weld was missing on each side and that maybe my fresh air intake run was too long. I shortened my run and the glass was still getting black.

They think that as the fire gets hotter, the delta T is pulling cooler air in by the door, at the missing welds, causing condensation at the door; soot.

They are going to pay me to have a welder fix the problem. I have been very happy with the service but disappointed that this occurred in the first place. Special note to any 7100 owners, the technicians as well as the gal in the plant, admitted that this weld was being missed on the assembly line. This has happened to others. They do not know how many.

I'll post on what comes of this.

JB Weld may be an easy fix. Not sure of the heat limits. I would have the stove seller pay the welder, not you. If they hire/pay him, they are responsible for the job and the stove moving forward. If you do it, your stove will likely be out of warranty due to material alterations, unless of course you get in writing something to the alter.

I think you make a good point. I will talk to Hearth and Home and ask them to pay the welder. I think I will keep the fireplace store in the loop as well. They have some leverage from a sales perspective.

Thanks

Well, this is an older post but wanted to let you know that a Hearth and Home technician and welder came out and welded the area in the firebox that was missed during assembly. They even called ME to arrange the service call. They seamed sincerely interested in correcting the problem. It was encouraging, to be honest. Don't know yet if the weather will get cold enough to start a fire to give it a try.

Again, disappointed it happened but very pleased with the service for correction.

Glad they got it fixed.

It's great that they are trying to correct the problem, very noble, they know its their bad due to the weld issue. I would say that you have them agree to come back in the fall when you are burning more often, if all is good you get great service, if all is still not good, then you move on from there. It is too late in the season to really know if this has fixed the problem. That's why you got to get them back in fall....gl

The gal that I have been working with is quite driven. She knows that this may be a problem and wants it fixed. I think I am a bit of a test trial for them. If this works, than they know they fixed the problem.

On a separate note, I asked the guys if that do this often and they said no. They went on to mention that they are in new product design and engineering; so like research and developement. So I asked them what new stuff they were working on and he was very vague. He did mention, however, that there are some recent increased regulation popping up in parts of Canada; a larger portion of their market share.

He talked like certain portions of Canada are rejecting EPA approved stoves altogether. Any one heard of this yet? Is this old news? Not surprised. This from the country who thought nationalised healthcare was a good idea.

Just curious. This is way off topic and perhaps should be a new post. Just thought I would ask.

He talked like certain portions of Canada are rejecting EPA approved stoves altogether. Any one heard of this yet? Is this old news? Not surprised. This from the country who thought nationalised healthcare was a good idea.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I had an issue with an EPA stove that I liked from the US, did not buy it due to insurance worries (the stove didn't have a CSA stamp) - so maybe there's some bureaucracy that this company has to jump through to get their stoves approved here? Just a guess...

Nothing to do with EPA or non-EPA stoves. Some areas of Canada are banning wood burning stoves period. Which has nothing to do with fixing a Quadrafire. Start another thread if you want to discuss it.

The Quad is fixed. Thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.