More wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I could possibly be swayed to mulberry.
I agree. I actually thought mulberry until I looked at the bark. The wood itself looks exactly like mulberry, the bark just doesn't match mulberry at all for me. We have a bunch on our prop, but there can be diff varieties and even hybrids. Have the ends turned purple at all? If so, mulberry.

Going to come back to this thread and argue the bark shown in the last picture is not from the same species being split in the photo above...look at the cross grain on that bark piece. Locust has a very distinctive nutty brown end grain and sassafras, as noted, has a distinct heartwood. Can't see either of those.