Morels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
I managed to find some today, not a lot, but good for a few meals. Morels and fried crappie, it's a spring time tradition!

Anyone else finding any?

1619549231735.png
1619549249490.png

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I found 38 two weeks ago and then last friday me and a buddy found probably 34 or so....not quite sure....we split them and I came home with seventeen. They were big ones and fed the family with some left over. Wish I had taken pics. The first batch I found I cooked up and ate with my parents and new neighbors from salt lake city. Lol....they were a little skeptical about eating them at first but they loved them.

Reactions: MoDoug
I took off yesterday and me and my father went to pomme de Terre lake and caught our limit. It's a lot of fun when they are on the bank like they are. I was catching them on minnows and bobbers and the ole man was jigging.

The crappie are just starting to go on the banks, here at Mark Twain. This lake has been in flood stage and the rains have kept the water temps down, so it's a little later this spring. But it's warming up. I might try it later today, there's a cove within a short walk. We're going to have some crappie and morels tonight. Love this time of year.

We used to find them when we were kids, and take them home to be fried up in butter. Yum.
A few years later I found a bunch, took them home and fried them myself, and spent the next 10hrs purging them things, and was up every 15min (I know because I passed the clock on the way) . Of course I couldn't be defeated, so next year did it again, and made sure they were extra cooked - nope, same thing. I'll pass, thank you.

• Sad
nope, same thing. I'll pass, thank you.
No pun intended.. :)

That sucked... I haven't heard that before, maybe your body changed over the years. I didn't get poison ivy till later in life..

Reactions: Sawset
I have heard that chicken of the woods can also have that effect on some small portion of the population.

They say that the false morels....I call them beef steak or red morels... make people sick and advise you not to eat them. I have ate them all my life and have never had any side effects but somone else eating them may not be able to tolerate them and have a "allergic" reaction.

They say that the false morels....I call them beef steak or red morels... make people sick and advise you not to eat them. I have ate them all my life and have never had any side effects but somone else eating them may not be able to tolerate them and have a "allergic" reaction.
I've heard that also, and I have a neighbor that's eaten them his whole life, so I give any I find to him. That's one thing I don't want to test my limits on.

Sigh... we still have 20 inches of snow on the ground here... no morels till late may this year!

In the second pic, mixed with morchella deliciosa I see a gyromitra esculenta in the lower right corner. That was considered edible years ago, but now... better safe than sorry: I’d leave it on the ground next time.

Sigh... we still have 20 inches of snow on the ground here... no morels till late may this year!
I almost feel bad for you.... except you're in the Alps! I bet that has to be a beautiful place to live!

In the second pic, mixed with morchella deliciosa I see a gyromitra esculenta in the lower right corner. That was considered edible years ago, but now... better safe than sorry: I’d leave it on the ground next time.

I'm not sure about the gyromitra esculenta, which I think is what Grizzerbear mentioned above, the false morel. Here's the 2nd pic enlarged. Some of what I found yesterday are past their prime, but they'll eat just fine. There are a couple I kept to throw in the back yard, to seed the place. They're mostly yellows, with at least one grey.

1619647850836.jpeg

Reactions: Alpine1
I have to include this here, just because it fits...

1619655015995.png

I have heard that chicken of the woods can also have that effect on some small portion of the population.

Those are delicious but I must admit...before i learned what a chicken of the woods looked like and that they were safe to eat... I would have sworn a mushroom with those colors would kill you lol. I would like to try a hen of the woods but have never found one before it was dried up.

We've had some years where, what I think were chanterelles are all over the place. I wasn't 100% sure so I left them alone, but the next time I see them, I will positively id, then give them a try. I've heard they are very good to eat.