Morso 2B Questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debusoh

Jan 27, 2015
Ohio
I just picked up an old Morso 2B that seems to be in good shape. I have a chimney in my detached brick garage and plan on using the stove to heat the garage while working on projects out there in the winter. I am having someone connect the stove to the chimney tomorrow.

It doesn't have any fire bricks in it though.

I've seen sets for sale online for $200 or so for both sides, back & bottom.

http://rockymountainstove.com/morso2bstandardbrickset.aspx

I paid $200 for the stove. Seems expensive for the firebricks.

Any ideas for alternatives? I've called a few Morso dealers in OH who haven't been much help. One wanted the serial number, which I couldn't find anywhere on the stove.

Can I burn wood in it without fire bricks until I get that part figured out?

Attachments

• IMG_2945.JPG
    IMG_2945.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 817
  • IMG_2944.jpg
    IMG_2944.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 1,063
Judging by the paint on the stove it looks like someone has already burned in the stove without the liner bricks. Inspect carefully for cracks and leaks at the seams. I wouldn't install or run the stove without the full set of interior brick liner.

Thanks Begreen.

I talked to a couple dealers in my area who both talked to their Morso rep/distributor. They said that there are 4 side bricks for this fireplace (2 each for the 2 long sides). No back brick and no bottom brick.

According to them, the model I have without a window in the door is about 40 years old and only takes bricks for the right and left sides.

Seems odd that they wouldn't have a bottom brick for this stove but they do for the newer 2b with the window in the door.

Does that seem right?

Thanks.

Yes, I haven't taken one apart but if it is like the Jotul 602, there is a thin layer of mineral insulation under the bottom plate. I think you're supposed to put in some sand to cover the bottom before burning. Also like the 602, no back burn plate in the pre-EPA stoves. After seeing hairline cracks in the back of multiple 602s I think this was a mistake and retrofitted a steel back plate in my stove. It makes a big difference.

Just a suggestion but check the building code for your area with concern to burning wood in a garage. To the best of my knowledge it is not allowed here because of the potential of explosive fumes that can gather on the floor of the garage.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.