Mortar Bed for Hearth Extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BrianR99

Apr 16, 2024
Midwest
I've got a 1950's ranch with a wood burning fireplace. During the remodel we busted out the hearth extension. The extension was flush with the wood floor and hade ceramic tile covering a thick mortar bed reinforced with metal lathe. I plan on re pouring the mortar bed. Is there a certain type I should use? Refractory mortar for example
My plan is to use Mapei Mud Bed 4-1. Thanks far the help.

I've got a 1950's ranch with a wood burning fireplace. During the remodel we busted out the hearth extension. The extension was flush with the wood floor and hade ceramic tile covering a thick mortar bed reinforced with metal lathe. I plan on re pouring the mortar bed. Is there a certain type I should use? Refractory mortar for example
My plan is to use Mapei Mud Bed 4-1. Thanks far the help.
Concrete reinforced with rebar. And no combustibles contacting the bottom of the slab

Is there a reason for concrete instead of a mortor mix? I will use wire mesh with the mortar. Thanks
Because mortar isn't strong enough to be self supporting

It has existing framing that supported the original bed. Does that change anything? I was going to put tar paper down and then pour on top. I could also make a metal pan if that would be better.

It has existing framing that supported the original bed. Does that change anything? I was going to put tar paper down and then pour on top. I could also make a metal pan if that would be better.
It can't have framing under it

From what I've read, code states that you need 2" thick non-combustible material for the hearth extension which I will have and was also there before. It's all original framing so at one point it was legal I guess.

From what I've read, code states that you need 2" thick non-combustible material for the hearth extension which I will have and was also there before. It's all original framing so at one point it was legal I guess.

Just because that's how it was doesn't make it legal. Code is often ignored.

2" thick self supporting reinforsed concrete slab with no combustibles contacting the bottom of that slab.