Mount Vernon AE Insert Igniter Fuse Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

victor

Sep 11, 2008
Maryland
My Mt Vernon AE insert ignitor isn't working. The igniter is good and from what I've read I need to replace the fuse on the control board. I bought a new wire harness for the igniter with inline fuses. What is involved in removing the board and replacing the fuse? It looks like I have to carefully disconnect all the wire connections and remove the black box. Is there anything I need to watch for, be careful of or do in addition to this? Thanks,

My Mt Vernon AE insert ignitor isn't working. The igniter is good and from what I've read I need to replace the fuse on the control board. I bought a new wire harness for the igniter with inline fuses. What is involved in removing the board and replacing the fuse? It looks like I have to carefully disconnect all the wire connections and remove the black box. Is there anything I need to watch for, be careful of or do in addition to this? Thanks,
I have only had to replace this fuse once.The main
thing is the connectors just be carefu lwhen taking them off,and putting them back on.

Reactions: Ssyko and kappel15
Make sure to unplug stove first. You may want to take a pic of connections if you can't remember where they go, or can't see the numbered wires. Very easy to mix some up and to put some on upside down. And that wire harness you bought with the inline fuses, will hopefully save you from having to do this again. kap

Reactions: Ssyko
That fuse doesn’t get blown very often. I’ve had half the board go up in sparks from spider shorts or power surges and the fuse still be fine. If the igniter isn’t getting power, my money would be on your power supply. Where do you have voltage and how much do you have? Should have 1- 120vac in at power supply and 1-120vac and 1- 12vdc out at the power supply. Be careful. Those tiny capacitors can still hold enough juice to explode even after being unplugged for a few minutes.

That fuse doesn’t get blown very often. I’ve had half the board go up in sparks from spider shorts or power surges and the fuse still be fine. If the igniter isn’t getting power, my money would be on your power supply. Where do you have voltage and how much do you have? Should have 1- 120vac in at power supply and 1-120vac and 1- 12vdc out at the power supply. Be careful. Those tiny capacitors can still hold enough juice to explode even after being unplugged for a few minutes.

I am having some problems with my pellet stove, the igniter is not restarting the pellet stove either. The fuse for the igniter was bad, but I am still not getting power to the igniter... is there a way to check if there is something wrong in the motherboard? (I figured that if the fuse was broken, it protected the motherboard)

Update: I tested the replaced fuse and it is fine (tested it from the front and back of the board just in case) I then unplugged the igniter and tested for current but none was there... I then unplugged the AC input next to the igniter and noticed that the neutral side of the plug was stained like short color stain which it might explain the original fuse damage. There is normal current out of that AC plug... but I did not expected the motherboard to have power, but it did, going into startup mode, which makes me wonder if that plug is only use to feed the igniter, and if that is the case, is there a way to fix the power back onto the igniter? Years and years ago when we found damaged connections on electronic motherboards, we used to reconnect the damaged connection by soldering a wire but we used to have the schematics of the boar in question. What do you guys think?

Many thanks

Last edited:

Could you please be more specific on where do I get those readings from? I have a strong feeling that my problem is power too but I am not sure where to check... and what to replace. Here is the diagram I have from my pellet stove!

Attachments

• my pellet stove diagram.png
    my pellet stove diagram.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 3,122
There are two power cords coming from the power supply to the control board. One is for AC and one is for DC. The AC is only for the igniter. I was told a while back by Quad that when you see the white connectors starting to change color, to replace them as they are going bad, and when they do, they can take the control board with them. Have you tested for power from the AC power cord that goes to the control board? kap

There are two power cords coming from the power supply to the control board. One is for AC and one is for DC. The AC is only for the igniter. I was told a while back by Quad that when you see the white connectors starting to change color, to replace them as they are going bad, and when they do, they can take the control board with them. Have you tested for power from the AC power cord that goes to the control board? kap

Happy New Year! Yes I tested the power coming to the board and the power is good! so something broke from there on the board, that is not powering the igniter, that is why I was wondering if I could weld a wire to repair the problem... I was thinking from after the fuse (since the fuse was damaged) to the next point... What do you think? Also, if the power is good, I could simply replace the white connector plug since this one has a discoloration.. right?

I would replace whole wire harness, not just he white end. And if there is power at power supply cord, time to keep following the path and see where it ends. Wire harness for igniter? And they do make one now with two inline fuses, so you don't have to tear apart the control board. kap

I have a quadra fire that keeps blowing a fuse . It blows at different times of the light cycle . Once right when turned on , so I replaced the ignitor, then it blew when the combustion fan kicked on . I disconnected the blower and the fuse blew in a second . Replaced the fuse again and it ran an hour with the combustion blower disconnected . I assume it's a bad motor so I turn it off and the fuse blows during the shut down .