Quadrafire Mt. Vernon Control Box Repair?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redheeler

Jul 19, 2015
Billings MT
Hi,

I have a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon pellet stove with a SRV7000-206 4 Speed Control Box.

Last year I replaced the control box because it stopped working.

Is there a place that can test and repair these boxes?

It might just be a bad resistor or something simple that could be fixed on my old box. It sure would be nice to have a spare box when it is -20F in the middle of December!

Any info on this control box diagnosis and repair is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John – Billings Montana

Attachments

• Mt Vernon Pellet Stove Cntrl Box.jpg
    Mt Vernon Pellet Stove Cntrl Box.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 977
I have read through many of the threads and read about people having them repaired. I am new here and have not learned how to search yet in order to provide the info you need. Maybe someone will come along with the info you need. I will search the threads to see if I can find the info.

Found the thread. Trying to copy the info for you.

The name of the thread is "Blown control board". I cannot figure out how to send the link. Let me know if you do not find it and I will message the author for you.
Edit...user that posted the link was "gfreek".

Last edited:
Could you let me know how this turns out ?

Hi folks,

I know this thread is a few years old, but hey, I was browsing for answers and I came across it, so maybe someone in my same situation will too.
I have an original (1st Generation) Quadrafire Mount Vernon pellet stove that stopped feeding pellets and therefore doesn't light or run.

I'm pretty handy with stuff so I pulled out the owners manual and troubleshot to where the only thing left was the control box.
(In case you don't know, there is a section of the owners manual with a troubleshooting flow chart) It tells you to check the snap disc #2, Vacuum Switch and hose, and finally the control box if the auger doesn't feed pellets.

Snap Disc is fine - It should have continuity across it when it's cold. (normally closed, opens when it overheats)
Vacuum Switch is fine - Should be normally open, closes when vacuum is pulled - if in doubt, short it out in order to test.

That leaves the Control box. Great! Between $260-$450 on ebay for a new one. Quadrafire P/N: SRV7000-206
I got to thinking about repairing the one I have.... Hmmmn...

OK, open the little bastard up (and void the one year warranty of course) and what to my wondering eyes do I find?

A fuse in a holder labeled "F1" of the normal small barrel variety (with the two silver end caps on each end) - Tested for continuity and it's good.

But here is my lucky discovery and the entire reason for this post:

There is another fuse that looks nothing like a fuse - it looks like an electronic component, but it IS in fact a FUSE labeled "F2".

Well I'll be dammed! Tested for continuity and it's NO GOOD! Found the problem!

Went on ebay, and found this exact part for $12 including shipping. Ordered that sucker and I'm betting my auger motor fires once I replace it.

Here's the ebay link: (cut and paste into your browser url bar)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QuadraFire...JxAq:sc:USPSFirstClass!24333!US!-1:rk:32:pf:0

And below is a pic showing where the fuse is located on the control board. You'll need to be able to unsolder the old "fuse" and solder in the new one, but you'll save yourself hundreds of dollars for your effort. If you can't solder, pay a friend to do it for you. Lot's of people can solder stuff.

If you have a quadrafire pellet stove with a control box and your auger isn't feeding pellets, first check snap disc #2, and the vacuum switch, but if both of those are GOOD, there is a very good chance that you DON'T NEED TO SPEND $260-$460 ON A NEW CONTROL BOX!

Good luck fellow wood burners! Stay warm!

Mr. Fixit

Attachments

• DSC00975.JPG
    DSC00975.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 1,786
Sorry for the late reply. I just received the fuse and replaced it.

That was the problem, It now works! Diagnosis correct!

I had to use a jeweler's Lupe to see the markings, but it's a 1.5 amp, 250v Pico fuse.

If anyone can source these on digikey or mouser, please post a link and save the rest of our members even more cash.

I was elated to be able to fix my control board, even for $12 for a $1.00 part. I figure that I'm up $250.

Glad to be able to share the info. and let you all know that this is indeed, the reason that my feed motor had stopped working.

Enjoy folks!

Hi Guys,

So I did a little search on ebay and indeed you can get an equivalent fuse for much less than what I paid.

This is the closest to the original and has the opaque green color (20 for $3.74 from Hong Kong):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pcs-AC-...=item487c1705c0:g:kYQAAOSwGs9bmsx~:rk:36:pf:0

And here is a much better deal, but they are clear glass (200 for $4.68 from China):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200x-Glass...6161566f:m:m2eH8LuqUdpBHbCxPOqRXMQ:rk:52:pf:0

I will say that the original link that I posted (even though I paid $13 for ONE fuse) was an EXACT replacement, and I'm still very happy to have my stove working again and not get screwed over buying a new control box for $266-$466. Also, it arrived in only a few days, whereas if you order from Hong Kong or China you're going to be waiting a month to get your stove fixed.

It pisses me off that they manufacture this stuff knowing that people are going to be buying a new control board when the problem is a part that costs pennies. No information whatsoever about this little fuse in the owners manual. That's why I posted this information here, to save the common folks like us some hard earned dough.

Hopefully this will save a bunch of good folks who are just trying to stay warm a lot of money.

Stay warm!

Reactions: stovelark
Hi Guys,

So I did a little search on ebay and indeed you can get an equivalent fuse for much less than what I paid.

This is the closest to the original and has the opaque green color (20 for $3.74 from Hong Kong):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Pcs-AC-...=item487c1705c0:g:kYQAAOSwGs9bmsx~:rk:36:pf:0

And here is a much better deal, but they are clear glass (200 for $4.68 from China):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200x-Glass...6161566f:m:m2eH8LuqUdpBHbCxPOqRXMQ:rk:52:pf:0

I will say that the original link that I posted (even though I paid $13 for ONE fuse) was an EXACT replacement, and I'm still very happy to have my stove working again and not get screwed over buying a new control box for $266-$466. Also, it arrived in only a few days, whereas if you order from Hong Kong or China you're going to be waiting a month to get your stove fixed.

It pisses me off that they manufacture this stuff knowing that people are going to be buying a new control board when the problem is a part that costs pennies. No information whatsoever about this little fuse in the owners manual. That's why I posted this information here, to save the common folks like us some hard earned dough.

Hopefully this will save a bunch of good folks who are just trying to stay warm a lot of money.

Stay warm!
I cant figure out how to get to my control board. It's in the back with not much access.

Hi Guys,

Stay warm!

Thanks for taking the time to close the loop on this. I just ordered 20 of them for 3.50. That way if I need one at some point for my old mt vernon, I'll have 20 to find one good one from :). Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply. I just received the fuse and replaced it.

That was the problem, It now works! Diagnosis correct!

I had to use a jeweler's Lupe to see the markings, but it's a 1.5 amp, 250v Pico fuse.

If anyone can source these on digikey or mouser, please post a link and save the rest of our members even more cash.

I was elated to be able to fix my control board, even for $12 for a $1.00 part. I figure that I'm up $250.

Glad to be able to share the info. and let you all know that this is indeed, the reason that my feed motor had stopped working.

Enjoy folks!

I've replaced 3 boxes in my Mt Vernon. One box came with F2 bridged with solder. When the board shorted ( and they all do) the auger runs continuously. I bridged the fuse in one of the other boxes and it ran continuously from the start. Could that fuse make the 4 speeds work correctly and why did the one board with it bridged work until it shorted? Love my stove and I'm very stubborn about replacing things I can fix. Any guidance or thoughts would be very appreciated.

I'm hoping some one might still be following this thread. I have a Mount Vernon NonAE pellet stove. It was working great until one day it stopped feeding pellets. Traced problem back to F2 fuse on control board (no continuity through F2 fuse). I ordered a new fuse and soldered it in. Now auger works and it feeds itself pellets.
The problem is it feeds itself too many pellets. Blue light on control board comes on then changes to red once stove gets hot. Auger just seems to continuously feed pellets at an unchanged rate... the stove gets WAY too hot. I am unsure what controls feed rate once stove gets to temperature, unsure if if repair to F2 fuse changed something... no amber light on control board indicating TC issue...
Any advice would help...