Mounting fireplace surround trim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oxyacetylene

Jun 4, 2019
Stoneville, NC
I was lucky enough to score a great deal on a Vermont Castings Merrimack with the Northfield Surround. My question is on how the surround trim pieces actually mount. The pieces themselves have cast in spots that are drilled and tapped. I am thinking there are brackets that attach there, and then would attach to the fireplace masonry? I can't find instructions online for the surround install, so thought I would check here before I bug a dealer with questions. Anyone have pictures of the mounting?

The surround typically attaches to the insert, not the fireplace. There should be instructions with the surround kit that supplement the instructions in the manual.

The surround typically attaches to the insert, not the fireplace.
OK that makes sense.
There should be instructions with the surround kit that supplement the instructions in the manual.
I did not receive any instructions. I purchased the stove and trim through a 3rd party, not a dealer. There are no published instructions online for the surround and nothing in the insert manual. I was just hoping someone could share a pic or description before I contact a dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess that it installs to the back of the insert body.

I ended up contacting a dealer who scanned some instructions for me. The instructions say that the three piece surround bolts together with two brackets, and the stove insert will hold it up against the masonry. Optionally you can install wall brackets, one per side, which would hold the surround to the wall/masonry when the insert is removed. I have attached them here as well.

Attachments

• NorthfieldSurround_VermontCastings.pdf
    51.2 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: begreen