Moved to Harman P68 after owning a Harman TLC-2000 coal stove ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frugalfreak

Apr 6, 2011
Southcentral PA
This is my first post here and I just wanted to share some things that may help someone else considering the move from coal to wood pellet. I had a 72K BTU model Harman TLC-2000 (burns coal/wood) manual feed stove/no blower and my main reasons for moving to a pellet model was to cut down on ash, 'black' dust, constant loading and occasional restart of the coal stove (not fun)
My reason for going with the P68 is that it has the closest BTU rating to what I had (68K vs 72K) The coal stove put off a more radiant heat - sometimes hotter than hell and damnation it seemed! The P68 has of course a more convection type heat with the blower - still hot mind you. I have a 1700 sq. foot ranch home and both stoves are overkill but I'd rather have more than not enough - I considered the XXV and liked it alot and if it had been a 60K BTU model I likely would have gotten it - the blower is better/quieter than the P68 and it looks a nicer than the 'stock' black P68 with no trim - but in the end the P68's extra BTU's won out.
This past winter my home used to stay 75-80 on most cold days (mostly set at 1/2 - 3/4 air control) and around 70-75 at night (mostly set at 1/3-1/2 air control). My first thought based on the early use of the P68 is that those numbers will be lower but still comfortable. I started out in Room mode but am now trying the Stove mode as some do here - come Nov./Dec. I will have a better idea of how the P68 will work for me but I'd say to anyone considering the coal to pellet move that if you want the best 'brute' heat and don't mind the dust and maintenance of a coal stove then it's hard to beat - cost/BTU is also lower - however if you want a good 'comfortable' heat and less work stove then pellet is a 'good' alternative. I'll repost as my experience with the P68 grows and I can draw more conclusions.

Welcome aboard and good choice staying with the best brand out there (stiring the pot).

Eric

Good voice of stove! I have a P61A, similar to the 68 just smaller. My wife and I almost went with the XXV also but price won out for us. Now 3 yes later I am VERY happy with our 61 and am very glad we didn't go with the XXV. If you do a search in this site it seems like people have more issues with the XXV than the 61 or 68- these 2 stoves seem to be workhorses!

Welcome to the forum!
I have both the XXV & the Advance and could not be happier with them.

there is not an easier stove to do cleaning on than any Harman P series stove. There is also no others that produce the radiant heat off the sides like the P series. I've pegged the P68 in the shop at 650 degrees on the side of the firebox goin full bore. Provides a very "woodstove" effect from the heat. I owned a 38 and it was so simple a caveman could do it. Heated the house w/ 3 tons that year (albiet a milder winter than this one).

Status
Not open for further replies.