Moving a stove from one room to another

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcedinburgh

Hearth Supporter
Sep 19, 2006
Fife Riviera, Scotland
Curious as to what's involved, other than the physical lifting. I'm half considering movig my Owl to another room and getting a bigger stove in the larger room.

Would I need to do anything else other than connect it up to the chimney in the new room?

Distance is approximately 40' and we'd move it ourselves and therefore be pretty gentle with it.

john

As far as moving it, If you can get it secured (bolted or strapped) to a pallet, and then use either some lengths of pipe (I'd use PVC - to avoid scratching the floor). You should be able to roll and turn it pretty easy. Just roll, and as one pipe frees up in the back, put that pipe up in the front and continue rolling. That should help avoid most of the heavy lifting.

Maybe this helps visualized what I tried to describe:

Attachments

• Stove.JPG
    Stove.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 357
Too add to what Harley said build or get something that will keep the stove at or very near the level it is currently at.
Slide it over and then push/drag it to its final destination which, hopefully, will be at or near the same level (height)

Masonite is very slippery stuff, that and a little elbow grease (and human ingenuity) you can move mountains or in my case a near full 35 gallon fish tank on a stand ;)

Thanks. Assuming the lifting is not too bad (e.g. something two grown men can manage - and I can attest to this having lifted it before), is there anything to be done in terms of 'resettling' the stove. What I'm thinking of is any cement joints in the cast iron that might move and need re-sealed.

It's a new stove (bought in September) so barely broken in, so I don't want to have to get it serviced or anything *quite* yet...

My guess would be no, there shouldn't be any shifting of any joints/etc, as long as it is moved carefully, and not dropped or anything really serious.

A smaller stove like the Owl should be able to be moved with a good, stout handtruck. Mine will handle 800 lbs. This is how we moved the F3CB. If you chose this method, put solid wood blocks on the platform (base) of the handtruck so that they almost reach the bottom of the stove. How the stove fits into the hand truck depends on its design and the design of the stove. It may be good to put a piece of thin plywood between the hand truck and the stove back. Then approach the stove from the rear with the handtruck, get blocks in position, lift back and roll.

Carry it or roll it’s your choice, just keep your back straight and bend your knees when lifting!

I worked for Allied Movers in collage. We moved grand pianos before breakfast Saturdays, 2 men, a 4 wheel dolly, and a piano skid. When I move heavy back braking weight I try to get the weight on wheels. I rent 4-wheelers at U-HAUL about $7.00.

I rented a 4 wheel dolly at U-Haul and lifted my present stove on its delivery pallet with a floor jack onto 2-6s set on the dolly and rolled it in to the house. I then rolled the stove into place using 3/8 dowels under 2-6s on ¼ in plywood set on the hearth. A small auto jack and pry bars helped for final positioning. (one man job)

I did hire movers to get a 550 LB stove out of a basement once for an out of town pickup. They showed you with 3 guys, and said” I thought you were a mover in town, you can help, if I’d known different I would have quoted you a higher price”. The 4 of us picked up the stove and carried it straight shot up the stairs and into my van.

Strap it to pallets..lift onto appropriate vehicle, deposit in my available room.

Oh...sorry you wanted to move it to a room in YOUR house.. :)

We slid a 2-ton wheeled floor jack for cars to move it. I used a piece of scrap 3/4" thick hardwood between the jack and the base of the stove to avoid any marring and help distribute load. We raised it just enough to get the four legs off the floor and carefully wheeled around the jack on pieces of plywood. (didn't want hard wheels to scratch wood floor)

Worked like a charm - just takes a couple positioning attempts to get stove balanced when you raise the jack, and you should have a helper to keep stove balanced as you tow it around.

Obviously this assumes you have a very solid base on stove - wouldn't work with ashpan!

-Colin

Brought the pallet jack into the house to remove the 600 or so pound Sierra and roll in the 455 pound Englander. I was thrilled when I discovered that the pallet jack went up eight inches and the hearth was eight inches high.

Now lifting the pallet jack up the front steps...

Status
Not open for further replies.