Moving a trailer that is over vehicles capacity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheRambler

Feeling the Heat
Jul 29, 2014
CT
Ok, so i may be getting a trailer later today at a really good price. Double axle, 6.5x12 flatbed. If i get it I will probably put 2-3ft side. rails on it.

I currently only have 2 vehicles capable of towing, both of which only have 5000lbs capacity in their current setup. One is a lease the other is a work truck so I cannot modify either.

I know this trailer is capable of holding at least double my towing capacity (11500).

My primary use will be going about 100 yards on my property. From where i cut my wood to where my shed is. Along with the occasional scrounging trip and store materials run.

Is there any real issue with moving the trailer with say a full cord or even a cord and a half or two that 100 yard distance? Its all relatively flat. I need to get the trailer weighed but it’s somewhere around 1000lbs probably. A full cord would put it right about the max, two cords would be nearing double.

Will not be driving on the road with it overweight, just curious if the issues are really only control of the trailer at speed, or if i could damage a vehicl just by trying to move it.

Thanks!

Weight ratings are based on several aspects of the towing vehicle. The biggest concern I would have would be drive train, rear axle, tires and suspension. Suspension can be beefed up (if you were able to modify) with helper springs that only add about 500ish pounds capacity or a complete leaf spring swap with a 4500, E450 or whatever. Then, there's the drive train. Lighter weight transmissions, drive shaft and differential. Finally, tires. You'd have to make sure the load rating will handle the added tongue weight. Converting to a dually would help, especially if the trailer is a gooseneck.

You could make 2 smaller trips with lighter loads if the distance is that short. I usually figure that a cord of green hardwood is between 5000 and 6000 pounds.

Or, load it up, paying special attention to how you distribute the weight, and make sure it isn't too tongue heavy. Probably be just fine if you take it easy.

I'd make a measurement that I use as a reference under the rear wheel well or bumper with the trailer on, but not loaded, to make certain you don't stress the vehicle with too much weight on the hitch/suspension. Air up the trailer tires well, and if the location is as flat and short as you describe, you should be just fine.

Put the trailer jack down and block it before you start loading, when you're done, and as you raise the jack up, watch how much the vehicle drops to verify the load. Depending on axle location, some trailers really need to be more front or back loaded.

You should be just fine, just go easy on the gas and brakes.

Reactions: kevin j
100 yards on flat ground at a few miles an hour will not be a problem in my opinion. I imagine the limits are for braking purposes, especially down hill.

You won't hurt anything putting one cord on that trailer and then driving it across your property...even 2 likely would be OK...just hafta start at 1 and work your way up, see how that goes...

Ok, so i may be getting a trailer later today at a really good price. Double axle, 6.5x12 flatbed. If i get it I will probably put 2-3ft side. rails on it.

I currently only have 2 vehicles capable of towing, both of which only have 5000lbs capacity in their current setup. One is a lease the other is a work truck so I cannot modify either.

I know this trailer is capable of holding at least double my towing capacity (11500).

My primary use will be going about 100 yards on my property. From where i cut my wood to where my shed is. Along with the occasional scrounging trip and store materials run.

Is there any real issue with moving the trailer with say a full cord or even a cord and a half or two that 100 yard distance? Its all relatively flat. I need to get the trailer weighed but it’s somewhere around 1000lbs probably. A full cord would put it right about the max, two cords would be nearing double.

Will not be driving on the road with it overweight, just curious if the issues are really only control of the trailer at speed, or if i could damage a vehicl just by trying to move it.

Thanks!

I used to haul my tandem axle trailer with a truck also rated around 5500 lb., so yes... it is doable, with some caveats. But before we get into that, there are some problems in your post.

First, there are very few tandem axle 12 foot flat bed trailers rated to 11,500 lb. I suspect you’re off by a whole lot there. Most are 7000 lb. GTWR, as they are usually furnished with two 3500 lb. axles. Standard fare. There are heavier axles, but they’re very rare on flatbed trailers, usually an expense reserved for things like dump trailers.

Second, there is no 1000 lb. trailer that is rated 11,500 lb. Even the 7000 GTWR are usually heavier than that. You really need to figure out what axles are under that thing, and get an unladen weight on it, so you know where you stand on payload capacity.

Next, any trailer of that class will have brakes, usually proportional electric brakes. You will need a brake controller in the tow vehicle to legally pull it. A surge brake is another option, not a very good one, but it does allow you to pull it without a brake controller. What is the brake setup on this rig?

On the subject of brakes, if it was registered in a state different from where you live, be sure the brakes are compliant with your state laws. Some states require brakes on all axles, others on just one axle. You don’t want to buy a trailer you can’t legally register in your state.

Finally, the original question. Yes, you can tow a trailer rated above your vehicles GTWR. Just don’t load it beyond that weight.

How many lugs on the wheels? most tandem axle trailers 5 lugs = 7k 6 lug= 10-12k 8 lugs 14k

When the trailer axles have reverse camber, it's loaded.
Actually I do overload my trailers and truck, I didn't buy them to baby them. Have I created unnecessary wear and tear, I'm sure of it. But that's me.

Will your 6.5 x 12 trailer hold 11500 lbs, yep, is it rated for that, not a chance, unless it was custom built or is something other than a utility trailer.
The axles should have decals on them showing the rating, crawl under and take a look. How about a pic of the tralier.

Actually I do overload my trailers and truck, I didn't buy them to baby them. Have I created unnecessary wear and tear, I'm sure of it. But that's me.
I couldn't give two shits about wear and tear on my trailer, it cost under $4k. I'm worried about the the kid who darts out in front of my truck on his bicycle, when I can't stop that overloaded rig. If that doesn't bother you, remember that running overloaded puts you at fault in all circumstances, and folks tend to be litigious.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler and kevin j
You won't hurt anything putting one cord on that trailer and then driving it across your property...even 2 likely would be OK...just hafta start at 1 and work your way up, see how that goes...

This.

No hills or speed involved here - just gotta send it. :)