Moving Air for Whole House Heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

30WCF

Minister of Fire
Aug 31, 2016
North Carolina
My house is 1100 square feet. The living room , dining nook, and kitchen are somewhat open, and there is a hall leading off that has a bathroom near the junction. Down the hall there is a bedroom on each side and the master is straight off the end.

Our stove is in the living room beside a 6' wide opening that goes into the kitchen/dining, and adjacent to the bathroom. These areas heat ok, but the bedrooms stay cold. I keep ceiling fans running blowing up to circulate warm air down the walls. I have been considering cutting in vents and running duct work with a fan from near the stove to the master.

The Q is if this were a good idea, would you go through the floor and bring cold dense air from the bedroom floor and let it come out at the stove at floor level, or in the ceiling and move warm lofty air from the living room to the master and vent it in the ceiling?

Right now I run a box fan on the floor blowing cold air out of the bedroom and notice that it does draw warm air into the bedroom along the ceiling, but it is drafty because it moves so much air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would try a smaller fan at the doorway of the master bedroom. I have a very similar layout. I almost felt like you were describing my house there for a sec. A smaller fan will work better and be cheaper than in line fans and duct work. The bedrooms at the end of my hall will hold at 65-70 depending on what it is doing outside. If you do insist on running duct work I would run cold air down low back to the stove room. Maybe cut some vents in above the doors were heat can log jam. This way you don't have to worry about getting up in the attic and trying to insulate long runs of duct work that will probably still cool off anyway. Just my .2 cents.

I would try a smaller fan at the doorway of the master bedroom. I have a very similar layout. I almost felt like you were describing my house there for a sec. A smaller fan will work better and be cheaper than in line fans and duct work. The bedrooms at the end of my hall will hold at 65-70 depending on what it is doing outside. If you do insist on running duct work I would run cold air down low back to the stove room. Maybe cut some vents in above the doors were heat can log jam. This way you don't have to worry about getting up in the attic and trying to insulate long runs of duct work that will probably still cool off anyway. Just my .2 cents.

Your small fan is moving what direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the floor back towards stove.