Moving Air With Ceiling Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 30, 2017
Northeast
Hi, I’m looking to see which way I should have my fan spinning for my situation. My 52i is in my family room that is 16x20 with a 16 ft cathedral ceiling. I have a really good sized ceiling fan that is on a 6 ft down rod so it’s 10 ft off the floor. So when you step down into the family room from the kitchen through the 5 ft wide x 7 ft opening the fan is in the center of the room and the stove is obviously on the exterior wall. All three are in a straight line with each other.

I’ve been running the fan counterclockwise pushing the hot air down so that the fan from my stove would blow the hot air out through the cased opening into the kitchen and allow it to spread through out the house. I’ve been on some old threads though to run the fan clockwise to push the hot air it up off the ceiling. I’m not sure if this would work better for me with the high ceiling or if I should just keep it how I have it. My goal is to get the hot air out of this room. I actually enjoy sitting in here when it’s 77 degrees but I’d like to share it more with the rest of the house. I know that I need to experiment myself here, but I’m just curious if anyone else has a similar set up or what your thoughts would be to get the hot air out of this room and more into the main part of the house

I use a ceiling fan in an upstairs bedroom to move air throughout the house. It seems to spread it out pretty good. So if you have another fan somewhere away from the stove room you may want to try it on low speed to see if the temp changes in your other rooms.

The only way to really know, is to reverse it and see if it works better.

Winter rotation of the fan you want it sucking upwards. This sucks to cooler air up and forced the warmer air down the walls. Helps force warmer air down hallways as well. Only need it on the lowest speed just to move the air

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Winter rotation of the fan you want it sucking upwards. This sucks to cooler air up and forced the warmer air down the walls. Helps force warmer air down hallways as well. Only need it on the lowest speed just to move the air

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
I have 2 ceiling fans in living room where stove is one is pulling up the other one is pulling down. I get a good rotation of moving air..