Moving air......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
My second thread starter! <smile!> This is probably a "Dummy Question" but here goes:

Haven't purchased my wood burning stove yet but did have the furnace repairman out here just to make sure our oil furnace is up to just one more winter. While he was here I told him of our decision to purchase a wood stove to hearth mount. We asked him what he thought about changing out our furnace thermostat to one which had a 'fan only' option on it - thinking if we ran the furnace blower we would get good air movement from the wood stove. We don't have a clue how much $$ electric cost would be running the oil furnace fan. Does anyone have any idea if we need to run our furnace fan to get good air flow? (one story ranch, about 1750 sq. ft.)

Shari

It depends on the layout of the houise and location of the stove. Many folks get by with a portable fan which will use less electricity and won't have duct heat loss.

A rough diagram of the house, doorways, hallways, stairways, etc would help, I think, Girlfriend !

Welcome !!!! :)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
A rough diagram of the house, doorways, hallways, stairways, etc would help, I think, Girlfriend !

Welcome !!!! :)

I would love to post a diagram! Is there any 'freebie' program to design one?

Shari

MS Paint should be on your system if it's Windows.

Hopefully our floor plan will be showing in this post.

I am trying to figure out how to get warmed air to the bedroom wing. The other rooms should be fine.

Shari

Attachments

• floorplan2.jpg
    floorplan2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 231
Nice job Shari!

I would start with a table or box fan on the floor, located in the hallway, near the bathroom door. Point it towards the stove and put it on low speed. The object is to blow the colder air toward the stove.

See how that works for a few days when it's cold outside and let us know what you find out. Of course this is after you've picked out your stove and have it up and running.

Thanks for the compliment on the floor plan - quicker for me to just draw by hand and post........

With the current fireplace we get a lot of thermal heat radiating off the stone back wall of the fireplace - keeps the kitchen toasty for hours after the fire is out in the fp.

We have a couple of 'upper' obstructions: The dining room has a wooden ceiling beam between dining room and kitchen and the bedroom wing doorway has a transom (which we may open up a bit for air flow).

I think this is do-able in our house without too much to worry about. Right now, all I am worrying about is the price we will pay for the wood stove. Ha! I have a "Barter" posted on Craig's List - bartering hubby's car for a wood stove - wonder how that will turn out??? :) Hubby's doctors won't let him drive anymore so the car is excess to us - no, I'm not selling hubby's car without him knowing about it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.