Moving an Explorer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 2, 2013
Hello Folks,

It's been a very long time since I have posted on the forums. Originally I was a pellet guy and since have moved to a place with acreage and am moving to a wood burning setup. My hopes is to be self sufficient with my heating! I am closing in on a really nice barely used Explorer II by Quadra-Fire. I had a couple questions (see below) for folks who have this stove. Any advise sent my way is highly appreciated!

Can this stove lay on its back during transportation?

Do the sides come off?

Can the bottom of the stove not including the legs take the weight if moving the stove via a dolly?

Any advise you might have?

Thanks a million :)

I've moved a heavier PE T6 and other stoves without problem by ratchet strapping it to an appliance dolly. Once it has wheels it is much easier to move. Use a good quality appliance dolly. I have a Milwaukee with 10" pneumatic tires. Works great.

Put a piece of plywood under the feet. Cover the stove with an appliance blanket or something to protect the finish. Slide the foot of the appliance dolly under the plywood. Ratchet strap the stove to the dolly using a couple straps. Get a friend or two to help you if there are stairs to negotiate. Pay them with beer - after the stove has been moved.

I have a Quad Explorer 2 - have never moved it, but believe when it was delivered the dealer had the firebrick removed and might have had the door off? That was it. It is a heavy stove but doable using a proper dolly, straps, caution, and extra friends. I don't think you could lay it on its back as the assembly to which the vent connection is made is (1) painted sheet metal or something less substantial than cast material and (2) may not be entirely removable.

Tim(fromOhio)

Reactions: Mark from Maine