Moving from Tacoma to Creston/Kallispel Montana... what type of heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliot

Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2007
Good morning everyone. Can anyone give me suggestions, ideas and/or information?

We plan on (hopefully) moving and building a home in the Kalispell area this summer to fall. Right now I am researching heat sources. Our great room will have a vaulted ceiling and fireplace with some sort of wood insert. But what about our primary heat? Does anyone know anything about geothermal heat pumps? Supposed to be expensive start-up but low monthly cost? Can a DIY install one? Also, any suggestions on radiant heating. The designer of the home says that we should have two sources of heat for those cold days and as a back-up. But as with everything else we will be on a limited budget. I have been researching the web, but am having troubles determining which is more efficient, cost effective etc. Any of you in those colder climates have some wisdom you can toss my way?

Thanks.

Elliot

Around here it is natural gas if in town or propane in outside of town. I would look at hot water in-floor heat. More important than the type of back-up heat is insulation, that is were your best bang for the buck is in new construction. Don't let your builder tell you it is good enough because it meets code.

I'm very familiar with the Kalispell MT area as we Just installed a new wood fired boiler in the High School there this summer.

Wood heat will be a great choice if you're willing to go that route. Most places natural gas is also available.

Status
Not open for further replies.