Moving Jotul 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
I’m about to move from IN to MS and I’m taking the Jotul! Question: is it okay to sit the stove in the truck and drive across the country? Or, should I build a wooden frame and have the bottom resting on the frame with the legs suspended off the floor? I currently have it on a furniture dolly with a strap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 155
I would remove the legs and put them inside the stove. Then strap it to a sheet of plywood, without wheels. The stove is heavy and has a lot of mass. Be sure that it is very secure in the truck also.

I would remove the legs and put them inside the stove. Then strap it to a sheet of plywood, without wheels. The stove is heavy and has a lot of mass. Be sure that it is very secure in the truck also.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was trying to do what you said, but the legs wouldn’t loosen. I didn’t want to use an impact driver, as I was worried about using force against cast iron.
I ended up stacking 4x4s and suspending the stove a few inches off the legs. I had it sitting on a furniture dolly (platform with 4 wheels) and using a large ratchet strap to secure it to the dolly. Then, secured the dolly. Worked well and we arrived in MS without damage. I did take off the heat shields in the stove and laid them down inside.

Reactions: begreen