Moving - Should I Take the Quad 5100i or Just Use Gas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
I installed a used Quad 5100i back in 2010 and it's been great in my house, see original post here:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/reality-check-and-insert-questions.47318/#post-719468

Fast forward to now, it's a long story but I have to move. The new house was built in 1991 and has one wood burning fire place in a family room right off the kitchen. The rest of the house has natural gas heat and a number of natural gas fire places which I think are vented gas log except for one which looks like a more efficient direct vented thing in another family room that really puts out some heat. I don't know much about gas, never had it but I know it's the cheapest fuel these days and for the foreseeable future.

My question is, given the cost of natural gas these days, is it worth it to move my existing Quad to the empty wood burning fireplace.....I really like the fire in the Quad.....but man would it be a pain to move.

If you can find a way to move the stove I would. I doubt you will get much in the sale on the stove and liner... With gas it will be cheap but me personally... I wouldn't want to completely stop burning wood even if gas was available. Especially if I had a stove and pipe already.

"No stove left behind." ;lol

still need to think about the future. The price of gas should remain cheap for a while but it's always good to have a back up plan cause you just can't know for certain and when it comes to utilities.....

Natural gas fireplaces are very expensive to run. I would much rather have the woodstove.

Status
Not open for further replies.