Moving Split Firewood: Pickaroon? Hookaroon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I take back what I said about the hookaroon.
It works great for picking splits off the ground and into a wheelbarrow.
I just stab it anywhere - in the middle and it balances.
I can see stabbing oneself though if not careful.
Really nice not to have to bend all the way to the ground.
I measured the length and it's only 28", but it's just fine.
Maybe the 36" pickaroon will also have uses. Perhaps a longer reach when drawing down the wood pile from the end.
I'm thinking the hook on the hookaroon holds better - we'll see.
The pulp hooks might also be surplus, but I'm sure there'll be situations.

SolarAndWood said:
CTYank said:
Works for rounds up to about 30 lbs

lol, that's not much bigger than my ideal split.

What kind of locomotive you stoking?

CTYank said:
What kind of locomotive you stoking?

Steel box about 2 x 1.75 x 1.25. Figure an 8x8x18 is almost a cubic foot. For decent hardwood, 100 of them weigh close to 2 ton dry. Pop a couple of the big ones in, fill in the rest and you get a nice long burn.

firefighterjake said:
Left hand.

Right hand.

Pick up wood. Put on stack. Pick up next split.

Works for me.

------

As for moving rounds though . . . I use an old pulp hook.

Agreed.

Maybe throw a wheelbarrow or some other mechanical assistance depending on the distance you'd like it moved.

No one has mentioned (I dont think, I just skimmed through quick) the use I am thinking of getting one for - getting the rounds out of the truck. All my wood comes from the families farm (not mine) so it all gets hauled (usually in rounds) on the back of the truck. And the back of the F350 is pretty high off the ground even with the dinky stock tires, it would be great to be able to stand at the tailgate and still get a couple more rows deep from standing on the ground. I think for that use that even longer than 36" would be good, might call up peavey and see how long of a handle I can get...

OhioBurner© said:
No one has mentioned (I dont think, I just skimmed through quick) the use I am thinking of getting one for - getting the rounds out of the truck. All my wood comes from the families farm (not mine) so it all gets hauled (usually in rounds) on the back of the truck. And the back of the F350 is pretty high off the ground even with the dinky stock tires, it would be great to be able to stand at the tailgate and still get a couple more rows deep from standing on the ground. I think for that use that even longer than 36" would be good, might call up peavey and see how long of a handle I can get...

I have a 36" one, but I think about 60" would be great for my 9' flatbed.

Wow, thanks guys for the pickeroon suggestion! I had never heard of one before but I made one up out of an old horseshoe and a piece of scrap 2x2. Very useful for pulling rounds off of the bed of the RTV to the splitter, or for retrieving big splits off of the table for another pass.

velvetfoot said:
This might work better than the tongs for transfer:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=LC16

LC16_L.jpg

There's a video too.
I'd continue to do the left hand / right hand thing when stacking but for just tossing splits, that'd be pretty slick.

For big rounds I use a pulp hook.

I never wound up getting that thing.

I've standardized on the Husky large tongs and a 28" pickaroon.

If anyone wants a 36" pickaroon or a couple of pulp hooks, all unused, you can pick (get it) them up at my place.

velvetfoot said:
I never wound up getting that thing.

I've standardized on the Husky large tongs and a 28" pickaroon.

If anyone wants a 36" pickaroon or a couple of pulp hooks, all unused, you can pick (get it) them up at my place.

Where is your place?

LLigetfa said:
velvetfoot said:
This might work better than the tongs for transfer:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=LC16

LC16_L.jpg

There's a video too.
I'd continue to do the left hand / right hand thing when stacking but for just tossing splits, that'd be pretty slick.

I got a pair of those recently and I really like them. Instead of having to bend all the way over and get two hands under a larger round, I can pick it up with one hand off to the side and not bend over so far (less strain on the back). It also lets me pick up and haul two rounds back to the trailer when they are be too big to pick up single handled.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.