Moving Time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deck2

Burning Hunk
Aug 1, 2008
Adirondack Foothills, NY
Today I am moving the stacks(4 cords +/- cut and split fall of 08) from the processing center(buddy's farm) to the wood shed in the back yard! I really hate stacking wood for the 2nd time, maybe someday I will move from the Village to the Country so I will have room to stack 3 years of wood in my backyard.

4 cords moved and stack 2nd time bummer

I agree that handling the wood that extra time is a bit much but sometimes you have to do whatever it takes. Hopefully someday you will find your place in the country. As for me, I don't think I could live in a town or city. I need some elbow room for sure. Here, we can not even see our closest neighbor. I like that a lot!

LOL
I live on 18 acres and I still move my wood into the shed. I just can't see myself clearing a path through the snow all the way to my processing area. It's too far to bring wood from and don't want to deal with outdoor stacks in the Winter.

Stacking twice is a PITA. The worst part of stacking is cross-piling the ends but I got that beat now.

My wife actually enjoys stacking wood. In fact, that's what she's outside doing right now. Bless her heart. :) Rick

fossil said:
My wife actually enjoys stacking wood. In fact, that's what she's outside doing right now. Bless her heart. :) Rick
she have a sister?

unfortunately
I get me a whole season break (12 weeks anyway) from stacking cutting splitting etc.
I get to go get a Hernia repaired early next month.

smokinj said:
fossil said:
she have a sister?

She's an only child...sorry. Rick

fossil said:
smokinj said:
fossil said:
she have a sister?

She's an only child...sorry. Rick
your letting the truth get in the way of a good story! lol

crazy_dan said:
unfortunately
I get me a whole season break (12 weeks anyway) from stacking cutting splitting etc.

Ouch. I had a hernia repaired aboard USS Ranger out in the Indian Ocean in 1989. Don't worry when you turn completely purple/black/blue...it'll all resolve itself in time. Ask them for Percocet...that stuff really works! (And you'll need it). Rick

Having to move wood multiple times is definatly a bummer. I have to scrounge the wood and then drop it off at my buddy's house. Process it over there and pile it around the back where it can't be seen from the street or stack it neatly. I can hold about 1.5 - 1.75 cords on my property, so when I need to refill I have to make trips back and forth between the two places which thank god is only about 4 miles apart! I still think wood heat is definatly the best heat.

fossil said:
crazy_dan said:
unfortunately

Ouch. I had a hernia repaired aboard USS Ranger out in the Indian Ocean in 1989. Don't worry when you turn completely purple/black/blue...it'll all resolve itself in time. Ask them for Percocet...that stuff really works! (And you'll need it). Rick

Thanks probably the same technology since they are not doing it laperscopic, because it is obstructed meaning it doesn't go back in.

crazy_dan said:
unfortunately

Good luck Dan. Hope you get to enjoy part of the break anyway; rest is good.

I rather do time in a Mexican prison that stack wood.

I just moved 2 cords to the house from the wood pile. I need to move 1 more and then what ever else I need for the year. Bummer but its the way it is. Thast why I want to look for a kubota that has a strong enough 3 point to lift a half cord of wood on a pallet. As far as the hernia, good luck. I need to go get my lines removed so there are no more little burntimes running around...and I am not excited about that! Tread lightly :lol: Really, good luck. Tell him no drinking the night before, you wouldn't want him to be all shakey! ;-P

I solved part of the problem, I've been buying old hay racks and wagons. Just load them up and move them in by the boiler when needed. Right now I have 3 8x14 foot racks filled as high as you can make the wood stay on them and another 6x12 with 5' sides and a 4x8 with 2' sides all heaped up and ready to go. It's a long way to throw the wood up the first time but at least I only do it once. I get to spend quality time changing tires too. I should probably get some tarps and put over the loads before they get wet again.

fossil said:

Mine is practicing splitting wood. She's slowly getting the hang of it. She just needs to pick up more speed with the axe.

savageactor7 said:
I rather do time in a Mexican prison that stack wood.

Thats why my new plan is to build a second wood shed. Haven't figured out the logistics of it yet though. The shed I have holds three cords, which is what I burn if it is all hardwood. Lately I have been getting a lot of pine though, since it is free, usualy stove lenght already, and often delivered right to my yard. But that means twice as much volume. Of course I still need at least half oak for carefree overnight burns, so now I am looking at 4.5 cords/year, so I guess I need a nine cord shed, or maybe even better, two 5 cord sheds. I am confused.

Having only 1/4 acre myself, I know about moving my wood. I unload, buck (if needed), and stck my scrounged wood along the driveway. I split it in the driveway and wheelbarrow it the the back yard (down hill) where it is stacked for seasoning. During the burn season I wheelbarrow the wood to the covered front porch (up hill) where I keep about 1/3 cord. Each split is handled six times from split to burn. All the work keeps me somewhat fit and out of trouble. I've processed about 6 cords this way since March this year. I wish I had one place on the property where I could park the truck,unload, buck, split and stack. At least my stacks provide some privacy from the neighbors.

yup, stacked mine on the back screened in patio yesterday. have to use my atv and trailer to move it 60yards and then stack it..4 cord....my entire process goes something like this,, drop trees, sue atv and trailer to haul to my landing..split and stack...throw in dump trailer and haul down to my house and sump on lawn..use atv and trailer to haul to back patio to stack. yeah, its alot of hand moving

fossil said:

For some reason, I now can't get the Top Gun theme out of my head

I started moving my wood yesterday. I splitt and pile my wood on graval, let it age 2 years then move a year worth and stack it under
the deck which is like a woodshed because it has a roof.

I have 4 cords in the garage. I also just stacked 3.2 cords (paid for 4) along the driveway--we'll see how that works with the snowblower this winter. Also have maybe 6 cords under some trees that I just looked at, and it seems pretty dry, so maybe I'll forego the driveway stacking in future.
I know I might regret it at some point, but it's just so convenient having the wood in the garage. Not only do I move the wood in there, I look closely at each piece closely, take off loose bark, and brush them off-very tedious, not foolproof (had powder post beetles) but again, when it's snowing like crazy outside, it's real nicce to have it handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.