jebatty Posted By jebatty, Jun 13, 2018 at 6:02 AM

1. jebatty

jebatty
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern MN
    I was a little surprised when my wife eagerly agreed to replace our gasoline engine push mower with an Ego self-propelled electric mower, which arrived by delivery truck a few days ago and made its first cut on our lawn yesterday. She has fully endorsed our mission to end fossil carbon in our household. The Ego now joins the Bolt in being fully powered by our PV system. One more gasoline engine eliminated. The Ego did a very good mowing job, and since my wife normally does the mowing, this mower will be her baby.

DaUub73qRWMBlJSUq9R2ljJyKm19PI21bHf_MttHJJfp8k4v8_XlLxzbZB0BjZ2Q_uh47qoHvI8HYCyjYOo=w529-h941-no.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Seasoned Oak likes this.
  2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'll be curious about how well the batteries perform over time. It looks like this is lithium ion powered. That should be a lot better than the sealed lead acid units. Pricey little fellow though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    Nice. I have a reel push mower, and a corded electric mower that i use for the front. The back gets either the gas walk behind string trimmer or the machette...

4. jebatty

jebatty
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern MN
    It was a bit pricey. The battery is Li-ion, 56V, 7.5 AH. CR gave the Ego a very good performance rating. I think both my wife and I are passed the stage of life when we look for the least expensive option, although I do price shop once I find what I want to get. Home Depot had this for the 21" mower at $499 + sales tax, and free delivery to our door. This was the least expensive I could find for the mower, battery, charger package. I found a lower price on the same mower but with a lower capacity battery.

5. Cast Iron

Cast Iron
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 16, 2018
    Loc:
    Vermont
    ....and the power for charging comes from where ? ;hm
    ....and the materials and manufacturing energy come from ?????;hm

6. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Not from a gasoline engine. In Jim's case - the sun!
    Similar places as the gasoline motor it replaced, though with less parts. As for the energy at the factory that would depend on where it is made. The point being that the new mower is no longer consuming fossil fuels and spewing out smog forming emissions at 40x a modern car's exhaust.
    http://cleanairyardcare.ca/sustainability/environmental-facts/

7. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Actually looks like theres a gas engine on it from a distance. More and more of my landscaping tools are battery operated. Including chain saws.

8. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Comparing a lawn mower (infrequently used, small displacement, cheap) to a car (frequent use, large displacement, 30x the cost) is a bit silly.

9. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    But it is true that mowers are many times more polluting than cars so perhaps it is a a good comparison with that. I can see a mower polluting just as much as a car thats used infrequently. Plus the mower went electric for some of the same reasons the car did.

10. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's the old argument that one person doesn't make a big difference. However, lawn mowers and yard equipment are significant polluters. With a city's worth of them and it adds up to some serious pollution.