ms170 "rumble"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I put a new stihl bar and chain on my ms170. Its an older saw (10 years old or so) and has the 14" bar. When I free hand the chain around, it has a slight "rumble" to it. If I run the saw, it doesn't do it if I rev it up but when I put it to work, it has a constant rumble under load. Motor is running great and has all its power. Does not bog down either, just the "rumble."
The sprocket has some grooves worn in it. Could this be the cause?

Yes, sprocket is worn, chain is not...they don't match...they must match. When you pull the chain around the bar by hand it should feel smooth.
Mismatched chain/sprocket is probably one of the most common un-diagnosed problems with the average persons saw

Reactions: Zack R
1602888685025.png

Does it look like this ..and not like this .
1602888731159.png

• Wow
Reactions: D8Chumley