Mt Vernon AE Auger Stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
With the hopper being emptied, it is going to take a while to fill the auger chute, before it will start dropping pellets. I would put a few in the firepot and start again, and see if it starts dropping pellets. kap

And what year stove is this? kap

While you are doing this, feel the shaft to see if it is turning. Remember it will only be turning for minute and 20. for initial feed. kap

While you are doing this, feel the shaft to see if it is turning. Remember it will only be turning for minute and 20. for initial feed. kap

It seems to be turning. The silver part which seems to be the housing that the black shaft fits into is turning and the black shaft is turning. Very slow though. I saw the two set screws come by and I went to get some allen wrenches but by the time I got back it stopped turning and the set screws are out of site. It's burning now because I filled the firepot but I need more time to see if it will feed. I did add more pellets into the hopper also.

It has burned all the pellets i put into the firepot and the fire seems to have gone out. So no feeding. Im about done for today and will work on it again tomorrow. Any more ideas are appreciated. To at least move the auger around a bit is it one of those set screws that need to be loosened up and if so, which one? Thanks.

Edit: And I did get the auger jam error again.

One more thing I did try tonight was to check the two set screws and they are very tight and snug.

Is the shaft supposed to turn really really really slow?

One more thing I did try tonight was to check the two set screws and they are very tight and snug.

Is the shaft supposed to turn really really really slow?
On most stove feeders/augers,yes,slow.The on/off time is what controls the burn rate.If was my stove,I would (re) jumper the vacuum switch,fire it up,run for an hour,if it will.We prob should have mentioned that before.Just be there,to keep an eye on it,as it is a safety device.

It doesn't need to turn that fast to put fuel in pot. Since the set screws are tight, it might be time to clean the optical sensor. Do you have a manual for the stove? As it is time to pull the auger assy. Just enough to expose the disc, that has a ring of holes going around it. Mounted on top of that disc, is the optical sensor. It has some wires coming off of it. The other wires are coming off the auger motor. It can get dirty and not see the holes going around, to tell the system that it is feeding. Try wiping off the eye. I can't remember if you have pulled the auger yet or not. Remember as I stated above, it is only one screw below the auger motor mounting bracket. There is a plastic gasket under oval mount. This stove is, suppose to try reversing 3 times if it is jammed. I can't believe a stove this new would have an auger motor or optical sensor going out of it already. kap

Did any pellets ever drop out of the drop chute?

Did any pellets ever drop out of the drop chute?

No pellets have dropped out as far as I can tell. It burns what I put into the firepot and then the fire goes out.

I do have a manual that they left me. If I don't feel comfortable doing this after I get into it, how do I go about calling someone who knows what they are really doing? I see something on the display that says, call for service.

There should be a name and address and # of dealer that sold and installed the stove. Otherwise do a dealer search for your area. kap

If he knows what he is doing. lol kap

Reactions: Mt Bob
Call nearest quadrafire dealer,and ask who they use for new installs,as lots just sell stoves,but do not install.Hopefully they will be honest.

Reactions: kappel15
I want to thank everyone who took the time to help me and a big thanks to Kap and Bob. It's fixed and working great now and feeding properly. I feel pretty stupid about this but I will admit my mistake here. I have had this happen once or twice before and I resolved it but for some reason this time I never checked or cleaned out the hole where the pellets drop from. I just blocked on that and focused on the top of the stove. When I look at that hole today it was obvious it was jammed up with pellets and what seemed like a lot of pellet dust. Anyway, yep, what a dummy.

Working great now!!

Thanks guys.

Well, we're slipping a little too as that is usually one of the first things we tell someone to check, along with other obvious things. Glad it was a cheap fix. Stay warm. kap