Mt. Vernon AE vs E2 (at same price point)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scelder

Jun 19, 2014
Indiana
A local dealer has a floor-model Mt Vernon AE at the same price as listed for an E2.

Looking at the specs, they seem to have roughly the same BTU output, roughly the same efficiency, similar aesthetic design, similar hopper capacity, etc., etc.

At the same price point, are there any advantages to going with the AE vs. the E2?

What would a consumer be getting for the extra $$ that the AE retails for?

Any help is appreciated! I had been leaning toward the E2 anyway prior to finding out about the floor model discount for the AE.

Both are solid heaters, very quiet. The AE is a multi-fuel unit, self (auto) cleaning burn pot and is controlled by a wall control unit tethered via wire. It is the interface to the stove by the operator. The AE is ran by dc motors, the E2 ac motors and comes with a R/C thermostat. The AE is considered by most to be more complex than the E2, but looks similar and heats similarly. Since its release, the E2 has been more popular, but had a control board modification for better air flow through the stove, this problem led to many (8 known) glass breakages, some violently. If the AE is a new stove (not sitting around for seasons) and is the same price, its probably a better value. The AE had issues years ago, but for years now has been a solid performer. Hope this helps.

What year is the AE ? Will you have any warranty coverage with the AE ?

You should get a full warranty. I would also make sure of the year and Rev of control board and wall control. I would make sure it has all the updates. If you are only going to burn pellets, the E2 would be the better buy if it has the new board. kap

Reactions: stovelark
Was the AE a burn model ? Warranty will depend on a few factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.