Mt. Vernon E2 banging noise.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Reid

Oct 16, 2017
Kennedy, NY
Just purchased a new E2 and had it installed. Is it normal for the stove to POP (metal on metal) the first few firings?

Have only ran it 3 times. When I turn it on HI to start it up it POPs/BANGs like the cast iron is expanding/contracting while heating up. Then when I turn from HI to MED it does the same thing.

Seems to settle down once it gets to the MED range.

The popping is loud enough where it startles you.

Dealer says it's normal for new stove. If so how many times do I need to fire it up to determine if something is wrong. (Dealer did not seem to be too sure)

Thanks,
Reid

It’s normal. Can’t say that it’s something that’s gonna go away though. My p68 did it every time on start up and again when cooling down. You’ll get used to it after a while