Mt Vernon E2 thermostat voltage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beekeep

Nov 30, 2016
New york
I just installed at mt Vernon e2 with a hard wired thermostat.

I am having an issue whereas the stove continues to run regardless of the thermostat. For instance, it is set to turn if at 70 and the room is at 85.

I have verified connectivity to the back of the stove and the thermostat.

I have verified that the thermostat opens and closes the relay properly.

I have relaced the thermostat with a Mercury style thermostat.

I have direct wired the thermostat by laying wires across my floor to verify I don't have a broken wire in the wall.

I would expect if I took my voltmeter and put it across the thermostat leads, when the switch was open (i.e. Calling for heat) I would measure 0 volts and when the switch was closed (i.e. No heat needed) I would measure 24 to 26 volts.

This is not the case. I measure 0 and .48 v.

Can anyone that has this particular stove tell me or measure the two voltages that occur when the switch is open and when it is closed.

My dealer is of little help and corporate Quadrafire won't deal with a consumer and other local dealers won't deal with a stove they didn't sell.

Thanks all
Jeff

I would be calling your dealer and tell him to come out and fix it, or he can take it back. Doesn't sound like he cares about his customers much. Only thing I can come up with, with the help of Quad is if the block on stove wires hook to, has a short in it, so it is like it is hardwired to run constant. kap

Last edited:
bob, looks to be a new stove. Quadrafire has their own thermostats ... is it a Quadrafire thermostat or other? If Quadrafire, start visiting/phoning the dealer and become relentless. Not sure of compatibility with other brands of thermostats...
page 13 of the manual http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/7080_132.pdf

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks

The stove is new. I installed it November 8 and have had issues since then.

I have tried several thermostats and they all have the same result. 0 volts when it is calling for heat and 0.4 v when it is not calling for heat.

I can't imagine it has to be the supplied thermostat as it only is a switch.

Yea the factory t-stat is just a battery operated programmable.I think the reading from the stove would be 5v same as a computer,but not sure.Anyway,possibly the wires from the outside t-stat connection,into the control,are wired wrong to the control board.Or board is bad.Dealer should be at your house fixing it.

Reactions: kappel15
The stove outputs in millivolts so your reading is correct. The thermostat you use for your stove must be millivolt compatible and wired according to the stat manufacturers recommendations for a millivolt appliance. Also the wire going to the stat can't be very long as the voltage drop for such a small voltage on a long run may be too much and then the stove sees no voltage after the stat calls for heat.
Ron

The stove outputs in millivolts so your reading is correct. The thermostat you use for your stove must be millivolt compatible and wired according to the stat manufacturers recommendations for a millivolt appliance. Also the wire going to the stat can't be very long as the voltage drop for such a small voltage on a long run may be too much and then the stove sees no voltage after the stat calls for heat.
Ron

Interesting. What is considered too long. Mine is approximately 15'

I am assuming this is a normally open circuit so that when no thermostat is connected the stove feeds pellets and operates.

If this is the case could I simply tie the two thermostat wires together to verify the stove stops feeding and goes out?

Yes,no,no.==c !5 foot is fine.You can actually go longer with bigger wire,but most heating people agree 25-30 ft is max.Heating t-stats are n/c normally closed,open on rise.Wired together,stove would always run(if things are operating properly). Millivolt t-stats are used for everything below 12 volts,generally have better contacts in them.Even though you are getting a reading,does not mean t-stat wiring is proper inside of stove.There is 2 wires and 4 terminals,may have been wired wrong.See page 27.http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/7080_132.pdf

Yes,no,no.==c !5 foot is fine.You can actually go longer with bigger wire,but most heating people agree 25-30 ft is max.Heating t-stats are n/c normally closed,open on rise.Wired together,stove would always run(if things are operating properly). Millivolt t-stats are used for everything below 12 volts,generally have better contacts in them.Even though you are getting a reading,does not mean t-stat wiring is proper inside of stove.There is 2 wires and 4 terminals,may have been wired wrong.See page 27.http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/7080_132.pdf

My stove has the two yellow wires going from the connector block on the back of the stove (what I hook to the tstat) connected to the tstat gnd and tstat signal.

Nothing is connected to tstat Vcc

Not sure if this is correct or not.

You say in your original post " when the thermostat is open, calling for heat,". Actually this is backwards. When the thermostat is open it's not calling for heat and when it's closed it IS calling for heat. To check for proper operation of the stove if you jumpered across the 2 terminals you will feed pellets and the stove should operate normally. When you disconnect the jumper the stove should go into shut down mode.
Ron

My stove has the two yellow wires going from the connector block on the back of the stove (what I hook to the tstat) connected to the tstat gnd and tstat signal.

Nothing is connected to tstat Vcc

Not sure if this is correct or not.
This is where you need to call quadrafire,as I am not sure.The older units with the fancy multi-function t-stat used the vcc to ground,at 3.5 volts,to run stove,but this newer one could be different,and you could damage board by swapping wires.But now you have all the info you need to call Quad,as sounds like your dealer is not much help.

Thanks all.

Keep the suggesting a coming as I am at a loss and apparently so is my dealer.

I disconnected the leads to my thermostat, so the only connected to the stove is the power cord and the chimney. The stove is continuing to feed pellets.

Well,as your stove is designed to only operate with a t-stat,sounds like wrong control board,or bad control board.

<insert cricket sound here>

I have not heard back from them.

I did a final expirement where I shut the stove down to clean.

Disconnected the thermostat and turned the power back on.

The stove lit and has been running without a thermostat attached.

I plan on going to the dealer tomorrow.

<insert cricket sound here>

I have not heard back from them.

I did a final expirement where I shut the stove down to clean.

Disconnected the thermostat and turned the power back on.

The stove lit and has been running without a thermostat attached.

I plan on going to the dealer tomorrow.
Thanks,it should not run without a thermostat.The e2 has a dedicated control board,fits nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.