Mt. Vernon (non AE) my bad need expert!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TDISD

Dec 1, 2014
South Dakota
Well guys I haven't needed to post anything for a while, but I may have made a mistake. Pretty sure this one is going to cost me

So I purchased A used MT Vernon non AE stamped oct 2005. Got it home, and the stove worked great minus snap disc #1 which I jumped to confirm, and convection fans came on.

Spent the afternoon cleaning the stove, also got it all painted up and looking like new. Got it fired back up so I could check feed rate and such before I moved it to the basement and as I was fiddling around I shorted the hot wire on disc #2 (hot wire arced off stove) of course I unplugged the stove right away.

So the problem. Auger doesn't work anymore. Disc #2 seems to be good (ohms out) disc #3 same story. Bypassed the vacuum no luck. Ran a hot wire to the auger and it runs fine. Tracked the wire to the computer and the wire doesn't have any power. (By the way the main fuse, and the fuse in the board are both good) everything else works. Exhaust fan starts up. Igniter heats up, but no auger. Computer flashes 6 blue lights.

I am pretty new to this stove so I hope I am missing something!! Really don't want to buy a $250 board. (Is there a fix to these boards?)

Sorry for the long post. Just want to make sure I have all the info out there.

Let me just say I know nothing about your stove so this advice is in general.

I would change all the fuses first before buying the board. They are cheap so no big loss there. If anything, you end up having spares. Check all your wire connections, maybe they are getting loose or a wire is breaking. Change the snap disk that shorted too.

If you still have the problem, bring all the wires back to their original positions (no jumping) and see if that works.

Good luck.

Today I tracked the problem to the control board. Figured I couldn't hurt it any more, and doing some digging I figured out that there Is a green fuse soldered in the f2 spot that is labeled F1 1/2 A. I got a couple (just in case) and soldered one in. The stove is running flawlessly!! I would have ended up paying $250+ for a new control board if it wasn't for this forum. Instead I fixed the stove for $2.47
When I get home I will link the thread that saved me incase anyone stumbles upon this problem

Reactions: kappel15
Most boards are fixable if the micropressor is ok. Odds are you fried the triac that powers the auger motor. Any decent tech would be able to confirm that. Just have them compare resistance readings between triac 3 pins verses other triacs that power other motors. Module is obviously detached from stove for these measurements.

Today I tracked the problem to the control board. Figured I couldn't hurt it any more, and doing some digging I figured out that there Is a green fuse soldered in the f2 spot that is labeled F1 1/2 A. I got a couple (just in case) and soldered one in. The stove is running flawlessly!! I would have ended up paying $250+ for a new control board if it wasn't for this forum. Instead I fixed the stove for $2.47
When I get home I will link the thread that saved me incase anyone stumbles upon this problem

Now all reading this please remember to not poke around or be very careful when probing around a plugged in stove. It can be very expensive