Mt Vernon OE not feeding pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gopher69

Nov 6, 2014
NH
Stove was running fine until I shut it down and tried to restart.

Here are the symptoms:
Stove starts, exhaust blower starts up.
Pellets fail to drop, but should start dropping immediately.
Nothing else happens, exhaust blower continues to run.
I can see inside hopper box and Auger is not turning
FYI, there is no safety-switch on the hopper door to prevent stove from running (older model).

Here are the knowns:
  1. Bench tested Auger motor, and works perfect
  2. Brand new control board (Original died in middle of winter)
  3. Brand new Snap Disc#1
  4. Snap DIsc #2 tested for continuity and good, the trip fuse OK !
  5. Vacumn, switch OK
  6. All pipes are clean
  7. Interior of stove clean
  8. Thermocouple working fine (at least it was before I shut stove off)
  9. Thermocouple Ceramic cover in good condition. extending about 1" over the fire-pot
  10. Thermostat working fine
FYI…..I troubleshooted each snap disc and vacuum switch individually by disconnecting each and connecting a jumper wire, all good !

No clue on next steps? Your suggestions are appreciated !!!!

Last edited:
If you jumper across vacuum switch wires, does auger turn? That wasn't clear in original write up. If so maybe vacuum hose is plugged, or you need to add more pellets to hopper for sufficient levels of vacuum to trip switch.

Just as an update, I should have stated in the beginning..... before I did all this, I removed the Control box and reinserted. Turned the stove on and the exhaust blower came on as usual. I didn't know there were leftover pellets in the burn pot (from previous fire), when I shut down the stove the last time. The Igniter is working OK, because those leftover pellets ignited, and I had a normal flame. However, no pellets were dropping !
When the pellets in the pot burned up, the stove shut down about 5 min later.

I removed and cleaned the vacuum hose, also ports on auger motor where hose is connected, also port where it connects to the vacuum switch, but didn't make any difference. I also did try to bypass vacuum switch altogether with a jumper across vacuum switch wires, but again made no difference.

So now know Ignitor works, and previous bench tested the Auger/Motor and know they both work.
Again, the Control Board is brand new, so have to eliminate that !

Any other thoughts ?