Mt. Vernon self clean malfunction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rickster

Hearth Supporter
Jul 19, 2008
CT
Hi Guys,

It's been a while. Been using my Quad Mt. Vernon now for about nine years without any major problems, but now I might have one. I noticed this morning that the stove was not lighting, burn pot was overflowing with pellets. On further inspection I saw that the autoclean mechanism had stopped functioning. I can hear the motor turning, but the linkage mechanism does not move. I think the linkage got stuck, and something might have stripped, popped or disconnected near the motor. The linkage itself looks fine.

Is this something I should tackle myself? Anyone done this? I am pretty handy, and the soonest service call I can get is December.

You can see the auto clean motor sticking out on the under side of stove. Taking left panel off and removing a few things, clears the plate that is screwed over its area. Can also get at some things by removing fire pot. And you can see things by pulling the ashpan and looking in there. kap

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I will take some more parts off but most of the views mentioned just show the linkage assembly, which is fine. I will have to spend some time on youtube tommorow!

If you put a magnet on the door sensor, it will think the door is closed and you can watch auto-clean run, to help diagnose things. I know of one guy that the hole in linkage got wore so it wouldn't work too. kap

Update:
Started taking things apart!
removed the autoclean mechanism, did the magnet trick (Thanks Kap). If I hold the motor lever during the autoclean sequence, I can feel the lever alternating between tight and then suddenly loose, which seems to confirm my prognosis. I think I need to get access to the motor area and see the connection, no idea how to get back there. No videos I found go that deep either. Any ideas guys? I am taking pics, so I can do a writeup when done to help others out. Thanks for any advise

autoclean-lever.jpg !

As I stated in previous post, take left panel off. You will see a silver plate over motor area. You have to remove things to get at it. kap

How did you get such a good shot of that area?

Not suppose to remove chamber floor. Make sure you reseal it real good.

Front by window has gloss tape on it

Late in following up, but it turned out to be what I thought...the set screw had come loose on the linkage to the autoclean motor.

Attachments

• IMG_3121.JPG
    IMG_3121.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 385
Lots of digging for a loose screw. kap