Mt. Vernon Stove Okanagan discussion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OnjaSuperjuice

Dec 14, 2019
Maine
I’m currently burning okanagans on my Mt. Vernon Quadrafire. I curious to know if anyone has the same stove and is burning the same softwood pellets or other type of pellet/fuel and what do you have for settings? How do you like the settings? I’ve been doing some tinkering and I think I found what I like:

Manual heat output: 1-Low
Fuel type: Sunflower Seeds
Flame height: -1 (not doing -5, yes it’s loud but I like fire)
Elevation: normal

Attachments

• F920F638-223F-48E7-ABFC-A3F4DBD8452F.jpeg
    F920F638-223F-48E7-ABFC-A3F4DBD8452F.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 78
Hello and welcome to the forum. I have an original AE (06). I burn corn in mine. I prefer manual mode over auto. I run at -5 flame height and at med. setting. It is in my basement. I also us an oak. I run on normal elevation, and normal fan setting. I have ran pellets on corn setting, as that is the slowest feed rate, to keep the flame down a bit. Just be careful with your love of flame, that you don't over heat the stove and tri p a safety disc. Stay warm. kap

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have an original AE (06). I burn corn in mine. I prefer manual mode over auto. I run at -5 flame height and at med. setting. It is in my basement. I also us an oak. I run on normal elevation, and normal fan setting. I have ran pellets on corn setting, as that is the slowest feed rate, to keep the flame down a bit. Just be careful with your love of flame, that you don't over heat the stove and tri p a safety disc. Stay warm. kap

Thanks Kap. I’ve not tried the corn setting but will give it a go to save on fuel. Does it take longer to get the stove to the desired temp with the slow feed rate?

The problem with using the corn setting, is the igniter stays on for 26 minutes. Thus shortening its life span. I have had the conv. fan come on when stove is in late, sslow, and usually by ssmed. One thing I have done this winter is I changed my temp differential from -1, to -3. Since it is in basement, I don't need to keep temp as constant. This saves start ups, which saves the igniter life, and less ash in ash pan. Since the flame height is the feed rate, it is best to set it per manual, for height it is suppose to be. Not to say you can't nudge it a bit one way or the other. kap