Mulberry Confusion? Fruitless or Fruited

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
Lot's of Fruitless Mulberry in yards all over town. I already have 3/4 cord split and stacked from a neighbors yard just 6 houses down the street. I read here in the Woodshed, a few threads all claiming it to be good burning wood. Is fruitless mulberry any better or worse than regular mulberry, along the same category as certain types of birch are not worth burning, I wonder if this fruitless mulberry is worth collecting. The info I have found makes no distinction.

Grab all you can,its great burning wood.

I have 2 older 'male' Mulberries that have never had fruit in backyard,1 decent size & the other at SE corner one of the largest I've ever seen. Guessing its 100 yrs old easily.There's no difference in the wood between ones with fruit & ones without.Density,color,hardness,sawing/shaping/burning qualities its all the same.

Same with thornless Honey Locust that were/are planted for shade 6 decades ago & 90% of the ones you find 'in the wild' that are covered with those wicked thorns on trunk & upper branches.The wood is identical.

Reactions: ScotO
The common White Mulberry is usually dioecious, meaning some trees have female flowers and can get fruit, while other trees have only male flowers and are therefore fruitless. The wood is the same. You can buy fruitless mulberry trees that are grown from cuttings of male trees, and the fruitless ones are often planted because people don't like the fruit falling on their cars. My car is old and I like mulberries so I don't really agree with the planting of fruitless mulberries, but I do agree with burning them.

Lot's of Fruitless Mulberry in yards all over town. I already have 3/4 cord split and stacked from a neighbors yard just 6 houses down the street. I read here in the Woodshed, a few threads all claiming it to be good burning wood. Is fruitless mulberry any better or worse than regular mulberry, along the same category as certain types of birch are not worth burning, I wonder if this fruitless mulberry is worth collecting. The info I have found makes no distinction.

Should all be good, including the birch. At least I've never seen a birch that was not worth burning.

Well, thanks for the info. I did read somewhere black birch is good hard wood, white birch, not so good. Around here, most people either keep or try to sell their oak, I have made a few good scores of large stumps and rounds, too big to handle. I could scrounge cords of fruitless mulberry at the dump, but they don't allow salvage there. I have two whole trees of fruitless mulberry to scrounge up this weekend. Here is a pic of one of the mulberries I scrounged. The trunk is yet to come down. The homeowner will be cutting it. All I have to do is pick it up. the smaller branches are good to help level out the next layer of a stack.

Attachments

• Optimized-mulberry.jpg
    Optimized-mulberry.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 293
Status
Not open for further replies.