Multi-fuel boiler with triple aquastat question........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenberlew

Oct 25, 2009
Northeast PA
Good morning everyone. I was hoping to get some feedback on this. My wife and bought a home last year that has a nice Burnham multi-fuel boiler (wood, coal, and oil) The unit runs a hot water radiater system and also has a coil for the DHW. It was built sometime in the 1980's and has a Honeywell triple aquastat attached to it. Here's my ongoing problem/question.......I have a beautiful wood fire burning in this thing but am still having the oil fire and run MUCH more than I want it to. Here's what I have the settings at:

HI: 170
LOW: 150
DIFF: 15
SOLID FUEL (operated the damper door) 190
OVER TEMP 215

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

Try something like HI 210 LOW 195 SOLID FUEL 205 Are you sure your wood is dry?

The wood I am burning is VERY dry. Correct me if I am thinking of this wrong, but if I adjust the settings higher on the aquastat, wouldn't the system (oil) run more to keep the temp up? I also tried setting the solid side on 195 today and had it start to boil over into the reserve tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.