Multiple furnace control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichopyounow

Dec 4, 2016
Western NY
Hello,
New member with a question about controlling an outdoor wood boiler and an existing forced air, oil burning furnace with a coil installed. How can I thermostatically control the blower on my existing furnace when using the outdoor boiler and in the situation that the water temperature drops below a set level have my oil furnace take over the heating cycle like it normally would. I have a very basic 2 wire thermostat controlling the oil furnace. I have an older Central Boiler wood furnace that I rescued using one pump for the house and the second pump to be used in the future to heat my shop. The wood boiler has a 1" water supply and return line connected to the coil in the oil furnace supply duct.

You OWB has it's own temperature controller and the circulator pump is running to you HVAC coil 24/7 right?

I'm not a forced air guy, hopefully someone else with expert knowledge will chime in. Right now your T-stat should be telling your blower and oil burner to fire as needed. You should be able to install an aqua-stat on the water supply line to your HVAC coil that would interrupt the call for heat from the oil burner. Say if your water supply is above 150 the burner is disabled.

What kind of controls are on the existing HVAC system?

Status
Not open for further replies.