My $30 Woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarr

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2012
Southbury, CT
Hello Everyone,

This year has been amazing for free wood. People just keep giving me more, and I keep taking. Decided I needed more room to store the stuff so I started to build a new woodshed.

Since I am cheap, I tried to make this as low cost as possible.

I used a bunch of pallets from work, some landscape timbers reclaimed from a neighbor, 2x8s from having my old deck torn down, and roofing materials left over from when Sandy destroyed my boss's roof.
Overall finished cost was $30. I had to buy hurricane straps, a few lag bolts, and 2 pieces of plywood only. Everything else was just lying around.

First I started off placing the posts and the pallets together. The back was made of a huge 12 foot pallet that lumber for the deck was delivered on.
image1.jpeg
Here you can see all the wood piling up, and comparison to the old shed.
image2.jpeg
I used a 1x12 as my measuring stick and to level the ground.
image3.jpeg
Foreman Lila inspected all aspects of my work as I put the roof up.
image4.jpeg
View of the back. Added a cut in half pallet for more roof support.
image6.jpeg
Pallets for roofing support, not the easiest thing to lift up there.
image7.jpeg

At this point some type of wasps were buzzing the hell out of me. I backed down because I didn't want to get stung. Then the thing starts eating away at the wood loudly. Braved a close up for a picture. I think it is a carpenter bee? Should I be concerned about this?
image8.jpeg
I don't want bee nests or a roof falling down due to damaged wood.

OK, I'll continue on next post...

OK, so continuing on... Did I mention I did this within 6 hours? I was pretty sore afterwards.
OK, plywood up, time for the tar paper.
image9.jpeg
and then 40 year architectural shingles that seem far too nice for this kind of shed, but they were a gift so why not?
image10.jpeg
Put a few on the front for a barrier and I will get some edging up there soon enough. I have the stripping, just ran out of time.
image11.jpeg
View from the road, wanted to make sure not too much of an eyesore. I think it is fine, but might paint it to match the other shed.
image13.jpeg
Smoothed out the floor and covered with more tar paper. Then used pallets for flooring over that.
image14.jpeg
Lila inspects my work, and has a few suggestions. (she actually found a broken pallet piece that I then replaced)
image15.jpeg
Time to start loading! Any questions let me know. Fun little project here. I'll try to post an update when it is full and finished.
image16.jpeg

This could be one of my favorite sheds.

Reactions: chazcarr
Dude you want to comeover my house? I have free skids and a need of a wood shed. I will buy dinner and beers. Lol. Great job.

Reactions: fespo
Dude you want to comeover my house? I have free skids and a need of a wood shed. I will buy dinner and beers. Lol. Great job.

Yeah, I would. Love doing this stuff, and it goes much easier with a helping hand. However I have a 2 year old an another one coming October, so my hands are pretty full at the moment. I'll get you next year!

Great Shed
Only 1 problem I can see
It's not at my house !
:cool:

I hear you I have a 4 year old and she keeps me busy.

Nice work . . . not sure what is more impressive . . . how frugal you were in building this or that you did it all in 6 hours. You are a machine!

Excellent work - how much do you think you will get in it?

The irony of completing a sorely (no pun intended) needed woodshed is the additional soreness required to fill it! ;)

Excellent work - how much do you think you will get in it?

Well the dimensions are 4x12x8 so that comes out to 3 cords.

In the near future I am planning on making lean to sheds on either side. That is also a quick projects. Take 2 landscape timbers and screw them between the already there ledge of the pallet shed. Rest the other end on a pallet on the ground, and use pallet runners to make the roof. I measured it out and it takes 5 pallets and you get another cord of storage per lean to.

Status
Not open for further replies.