My Black Locust logs are growing ears!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Curry

Jul 7, 2014
Western NY
image.jpg

Black Locust is supposed to have a high rate of vegetative reproduction. Looks like I can definitely confirm that. The tree was toppled this spring, and I hauled the logs away over 4th of July weekend.

"I'm not dead yet!" :)

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
I had the same type of growth on logs I harvested in December. I know they should be split and stacked by now but just to busy with the rest of the rounds. At least I do not have to worry about BL rotting.

One very resilient wood !

Welcome, Shawn! BL suckers like crazy,also. Recently whacked a few growing out of my road. Yes....my road. Get that split and sit on it for 18 months or so!

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
I think I'll have to install a bell on the tractor or something. Picking up wood I'll hit it and yell, "bring out your dead!"

Status
Not open for further replies.