My Blaze King Princess Ultra Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve19

Hi everyone,

After about 2 weeks of burning, I thought I'd finally jump in and provide a review on my Blaze King Princess Ultra. I plan on providing a final review once this burning season is over.

I live in the Northwest Territories (Canada), where the winter weather is comparable to Alaska and the Yukon. Winter season ranges from Mid October to March/April. Winter temperatures range from 0 °F (-18°C) to -40 °F (-40°C), where January and February are the coldest months. Last January I did record a temperature reading of -79.6 °F (-62 °C)... my coldest record reading while I've lived in the North!

The reason for me purchasing the Blaze King Princess was based on several factors. First, the previous homeowner had an Osburn 1050 unit which had a poor burn time (5-6 hours), as well as a small firebox, and I wanted something that would easily burn overnight. Secondly, I took advantage of several home energy rebates, which took off $1000 from the final price (I ended up paying $2250 CDN, taxes in). Thirdly, I wanted an energy efficient unit that would adequately heat my home throughout the winter season so that I could save on gas (propane), as well as electricity. Lastly, I wanted comfortable/even temperatures and felt the catalytic option was a necessity. I did ponder getting a pellet stove, but couldn't let myself go down that route as wood burning seems to run in my family. In the end, the decision was simple, and I'm glad I chose Blaze King.

Overall I'm quite pleased with my Blaze King. The craftsmanship of the unit is outstanding. I personally like the bold look of the unit (although I understand why some may not find it aesthetically pleasing). I have the satin trim kit with convection deck, which I find boasts the look of the stove. I opted not to purchase the fan kit this year as I wanted to determine if I would be able to heat my house comfortably without it, as well, I wanted to save on electricity costs.

I'm burning pine this year (I also have the option of birch and spruce). Soft wood is the only type of wood available in the Northwest Territories. I have been averaging around 12 hours of comfortable burn times (gotta love the cat!). I have been able to stretch the burn times to about 15-16 hours, but find very little heat is produced. I know the advertised burn times is as high as 20 hours, but I'm quite pleased with what I'm achieving as I am burning soft wood. I load my stove three times a day. Once in the am (2-3 logs), once when I come home from work (1-2 logs) and once prior to bed (2-3 logs). My stove is situated in the basement of my home, and on t-stat setting 1 (low), I have been able to achieve a cozy basement temperature of 78-82 degrees, and an upstairs temperature at 69 degrees. I feel as the winter gets colder into the season, I will likely need to turn the t-stat to 1.5 or even 2 to maintain these comfortable settings. My furnace rarely kicks on now (maybe 3-5 times during the day), which is a drastic improvement prior to installing the stove. I will definitely notice the cost savings with the use of this stove this winter.

While there are many great wood stove manufacturers available, Blaze King definitely tops the list. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

I wanted to say Thanks to those who have helped me out since I've joined this forum. It has a plethora of useful information and an intelligent bunch of guys.

Happy and safe burning!

-Steve

I can't even imagine what -79deg feels like! That's impressive.

steve19 said:
Winter temperatures range from 0 °F (-18°C) to -40 °F (-40°C), where January and February are the coldest months. Last January I did record a temperature reading of -79.6 °F (-62 °C).

Yeah, um... good luck with all that. I can't even comprehend what -80°F is like. I have no plans on finding out.

Glad to hear the stove is working out for you. If it weren't so damn cold over there you'd probably see those 20 hour burn times. :lol:

Too bad we cant find blaze kings this far east as much as out there. Id like to see one. For the control and burn time i could live with one even if it looked like that.

Browning need to give one of those a spin...yes washing machine pun intended

Stump_Branch said:
Too bad we cant find blaze kings this far east as much as out there. Id like to see one. For the control and burn time i could live with one even if it looked like that.

There is supposedly a Blaze King Dealer around me somewhere.

Ones just north of me in your state. Wanted to go but the price hikes on this side of the country turned me off. If you were to buy new id say this could be the one for your case. Chrisvp said maybe next year they were re adjusting the dealers over here to make the prices more competitive...

Stump_Branch said:
Ones just north of me in your state. Wanted to go but the price hikes on this side of the country turned me off. If you were to buy new id say this could be the one for your case. Chrisvp said maybe next year they were re adjusting the dealers over here to make the prices more competitive...

The Chinook or Princess would work well in the fireplace that holds the Vigilant. Cost is the main issue. I've gotten this far without buying new. Kind of hard to stray from that plan at this point.

Right now the plan is to buy a Defiant during the off season and move the Heritage to the Vigilant's location. I was originally against that idea, but I figure the heat output from the Heritage Would be a good indicator as to how the Fireview would perform.

At least that is the plan as of November 15th at 11:07pm after the fourth serving of rum...

Good to hear Steve, thanks for sharing. Pine is my Oak around here also. Birch if I can get it. Very rare though. Adds a few more hours to the burn time. Temps dropping here as we speak. Plugged the vehicles in for the first time last night. Have a warm winter, well at least in your home anyways. ;-)
Cheers

north of 60 said:
Good to hear Steve, thanks for sharing. Pine is my Oak around here also. Birch if I can get it. Very rare though. Adds a few more hours to the burn time. Temps dropping here as we speak. Plugged the vehicles in for the first time last night. Have a warm winter, well at least in your home anyways. ;-)
Cheers

Yep winter is coming on full strength.
Even see that Seattle is to get some snow friday.

45 MPH wind gusts, -3 right now. To get warmer tomorrow, but still -30s wind chills.
House 71 :)

Glad the stove is working out well for you Steve.
Spruce & birch for me. This week has been a full load of birch at night, & now a full load of spruce around noon, then good till bed time.
Stay warm :)

Stump_Branch said:
Too bad we cant find blaze kings this far east ...
Maybe Auto-Rain has recovered from their latest groan-slapping by BK-central and is shipping them to the east coast - as legend has it they formerly did.

wow... -79... that's what I call pretty damn cold! The coldest temp that's ever been recorded down here is only -70 (F)...

Mt Ski Bum said:
wow... -79... that's what I call pretty damn cold! The coldest temp that's ever been recorded down here is only -70 (F)...

Only? :blank:

Does the 2/3 logs fill the stove to its capacity,good luck with your BKPrincess,i'm in the learning stages of an UltraKing.

Nice review, you sure don't hear many bad things about BK stoves. I'm waiting for their release of 2 new stoves in the 2cu ft range. Rumour has it they burn 20+ hours with a full load of larch and a Chinook style will be released soon while a more traditional stove next Spring.

north of 60 said:
Mt Ski Bum said:

Only? :blank:

compared to the temps up there in the Arctic, yes.

Must say we are blessed with the level of hardwoods further south and east.

Stump_Branch said:
Must say we are blessed with the level of hardwoods further south and east.
you got that right......heck I gave away almost 10 cords of pine this year.......I don't mind burning it I just hate the burn times....like to be able to load up my stove and walk away from it for 8-9hrs....lol....stay warm you guys up North!!

Stump_Branch said:

There are a few in CT and NJ, did you check the BK site? They have a dealer locator link.

Thanks Steve. Your post is particularly interesting to me because I'm waiting on a BK Princess myself. Can I ask has the transition to an cat stove (assuming the Osburn wasn't a cat) been unusual or unexpected or challenging in any way?

Jager said:
Thanks Steve. Your post is particularly interesting to me because I'm waiting on a BK Princess myself. Can I ask has the transition to an cat stove (assuming the Osburn wasn't a cat) been unusual or unexpected or challenging in any way?

My pleasure Jager. My Osburn was not a cat, so I was excited to try this new "technology". I definitely noticed the difference (burn times, consistent heat temps, and larger fire box) with my BK. It has taken me 2 weeks to get use to using the cat, however, after alot of trial and error (and help from the guys on this forum), I've figured this stove out. The transition was easy and enjoyable. I feel more in-control of my stove with the addition of the cat. It feels great.

The only new thing I needed to learn was how to properly reload and maintain the temperatures.

Basically, when I reload the stove, I do the following:
1) Set temp to the highest setting (3), let it burn for 10 minutes. This develops a decent bed of coals and also gets the thermometer on the stove to the max point on the active zone
2) Drop the temp to medium (2) and let it burn for 5-10 minutes. This allows the cat enough time to register the medium temperature (I have found if I drop it from 3 to 1 immediately that the cat registers the temperature too high for prolong periods, thus reducing my burn times).
3) Drop it to setting low (1) and leave it be until I complete my next reload.

Hope that helps!

steve19 said:
Jager said:

My pleasure Jager. My Osburn was not a cat, so I was excited to try this new "technology". I definitely noticed the difference (burn times, consistent heat temps, and larger fire box) with my BK. It has taken me 2 weeks to get use to using the cat, however, after alot of trial and error (and help from the guys on this forum), I've figured this stove out. The transition was easy and enjoyable. I feel more in-control of my stove with the addition of the cat. It feels great.

The only new thing I needed to learn was how to properly reload and maintain the temperatures.

Basically, when I reload the stove, I do the following:
1) Set temp to the highest setting (3), let it burn for 10 minutes. This develops a decent bed of coals and also gets the thermometer on the stove to the max point on the active zone
2) Drop the temp to medium (2) and let it burn for 5-10 minutes. This allows the cat enough time to register the medium temperature (I have found if I drop it from 3 to 1 immediately that the cat registers the temperature too high for prolong periods, thus reducing my burn times).
3) Drop it to setting low (1) and leave it be until I complete my next reload.

Hope that helps!

according to BK, when you drop the stove to low from high with cat engaged, your cat temp will spike because of the increase in smoke being produced from the wood. (normal)
Obviously the cat gobbles up the smoke and makes heat, so the more smoke the more heat. I think it said it likes 30 minutes in between temp changes. But if 5-10 works for you, then alright :)
Are you burning with the Bypass open when you reload?

Hass said:
Are you burning with the Bypass open when you reload?

Sorry, yes I am, but only for the first few minutes. So, for the first 10 minutes at setting 3, the first 4-5 minutes will have the by-pass open. I usually have enough bed of coals from my previous burn to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.