my blueberries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
I mentioned on the garden thread that I have blueberries from my grandma's property. We jokingly called them plumb berries becuase the berries are so big.
plumbberries.jpg

The poor plants would sag under the weight of their fruits and it was quite a job picking. Everyone in the family had a large supply of berries in their freezers.

She started them as cuttings back in about 1979 so they were well established. After my grandma passed away last fall, it was kind of a priority to try and get the plants out before the house was sold. My sister and I made an attempt one afternoon but shovels and a truck didn't get us very far.
berries1.jpg

berrypull.jpg

After A LOT of digging and a little pulling, the first two went easy, but the rest refused to move.

We had to return another day and call in the big gun. My grandma's close friend and neighbor has a tractor. I love the song "Friends With Tractors."
"Son you ain't got a thing on me. See, I got friends with tractors!"
powergardening6.jpg

powergardening5.jpg

powergardening8.jpg

powergardening3.jpg

A load of wood is easier on my pickup.
berryload2.jpg

berryload1.jpg

It took three of us to muscle them out of the truck, onto a cart, and into the ground.
My sister has three of the plants, being guarded by german shepherds.
berryguard.jpg

I have two planted by my garden with a few other blueberry plants that were already there when I bought the place.
newhome.jpg

My parents took two plants. They got the biggest one and the smallest one.

I was a little worried about mine this winter.
18.jpg

But now they're showing signs of growth. I hope that's a good thing.
buds.jpg

As long as a couple make it we can take cuttings to continue the strain. I've got a couple of small cuttings that I started last year from her plants but I don't know if they survived the winter.

Nice. My grandparents lived in the Grafton Mts. in Eastern NY & they had blueberry bushes EVERYWHERE.
When the family came out for Sunday dinners, she'd send all her grandchildren - my cousins & me - out
with plastic buckets to pick as many as we could carry. What we brought back was probably HALF of what
we'd picked, but she didn't care. She'd end up with enough for her recipes. She would rinse a BUNCH of
them & give us bowls filled with milk, blueberries & sugar...Thinking back, I don't think I've
EVER had Blueberries since those days (late 50s) that were that plump or tasted that good. I wish I'd had
the sense to pull up a couple of the bushes & transplant them, but I was young & mobile & they probably
would be growing nicely in someone else's yard...

Those bushes are beautiful, how old are they? It looks like this is going to be the first winter ours make it without being ravaged by the tick bags.

The plants started as cuttings from a berry farm near the small town where my grandparents lived. The plants went in the ground at their new house when they retired and moved in 1979.
I've been told that she had a few varieties and that was the reason some plants produced larger berries. We took the plants from the south end of her row because they produced the biggest.

I've got 10 or 11 bushes that I planted 25 years ago.They produce bumper crops every year.I'm curious about how these transplanted bushes do.Keep us updated,if you would,please.

Status
Not open for further replies.