My brick is broken!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scamp

Nov 11, 2008
Central California
Hello, I haven't been here for a few years -- glad I could still log in.

I was just cleaning out my Intrepid Vermont Castings stove (around 1988 model) and see that the brick in the back is broken, split completely through and about 3 inches of it is pushed back a little (1/4 inch).

I understand it must be replaced, but I'm wondering if I must refrain from any fires until then? Is this a safety issue? Or can I keep burning for a few days until it is replaced? It's been my sole source of heat this winter, but I live in California so my fires are generally small -- just a morning fire.

Thanks! Scamp

Hello, I haven't been here for a few years -- glad I could still log in.

I was just cleaning out my Intrepid Vermont Castings stove (around 1988 model) and see that the brick in the back is broken, split completely through and about 3 inches of it is pushed back a little (1/4 inch).

I understand it must be replaced, but I'm wondering if I must refrain from any fires until then? Is this a safety issue? Or can I keep burning for a few days until it is replaced? It's been my sole source of heat this winter, but I live in California so my fires are generally small -- just a morning fire.

Thanks! Scamp
Brick in an Intrepid? I had an older model that was around that time period. Mine did not have any brick. In fact, I have never seen an Intrepid with firebrick.

Could you post a picture?

Also, if it is firebrick, and it is split in half, is it staying in place?

Hello. I'm trying to attach a pic - we'll see if it works! The small right section of brick has pushed back a little. Oops, the pic is a little large and I don't know how to downsize it... Scamp March 2014 003.JPG

Yeah, I'd run it as is for the rest of the season.

20140218_114123.jpg
Thank you for the responses! Looks like I will continue to be warm. I'll keep the fires relatively small... Scamp

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't worry about keeping the fires small. Burn it like you normally would and repair it over the summer.

First time I've seen an Intrepid with firebrick.

My VC fire brick has a lifetime guarantee, in fact I got a new one last month, check to see if you are in the same boat.....if so post here cause there are many bad mouthing VC and I just dont know why.....:cool:

VC is not honoring old warranties may be why.

What's the cut off year?

I don't remember exactly. It happened when Monesen bought the works. Maybe 4-5 yrs back?

Last edited:
If you don't ask, you don't get..... If they have the parts and are turning over a new leaf due to new ownership, you might get lucky..... It's worth a try. I've received a quality product from VC, I can't be the only one......

If you don't ask, you don't get..... If they have the parts and are turning over a new leaf due to new ownership, you might get lucky..... It's worth a try. I've received a quality product from VC, I can't be the only one......
Well, part of it is that you have a traditional non-cat stove with burn tubes. It's a pretty straight forward stove, apart from the huge amount of firebrick they used in that stove, it should be pretty trouble free for you.

But, VC has a long history of expensive parts, poor customer service, and heavy maintenance needs for their stoves to be sure they are working correctly. I have owned five VC stoves. There are a lot of issues with VC stoves. Both the Encore and Defiant are dirty burners and smoke far too much even with a glowing cat. The cost to maintain both stoves is extremely high and when the next rebuild is required, the stoves will be replaced as it does not make sense economically to invest the money. The Defiant rebuild will cost nearly as much as a new Englander 30NC.

Then there was the long standing issues with the non-cat Everburn system that resulted in smoldering burns or glowing flue collars.

Then there were the bankruptcies and changing of ownerships that resulted in warranties being voided.

The new Defiants and Encores are better than the previous generation, but they are still dirty burners with expensive upkeep when compared to every other manufacturer.

Yours should be relatively trouble-free apart from replacing the occasional firebrick. Don't take it personally when people vent their displeasure in regards to VC. That does not reflect against your purchase.

I just looked up VermontCastings.com for their phone number and found this: "For parts, questions, or assistance with your product, please contact your local dealer." So, it looks like I will have to find a store that sells them. Unless someone knows where I should call?

Meanwhile, I found where my stove type is listed under each posting, but was unable to change it. How do I edit that entry?

Thank you BrownngBAR. I will check those links for my new brick.

Meanwhile, I haven't been able to figure out how to change the Signature line from Encore to Intrepid. I navigated to the Profile page, but when I try to change from Encore, nothing happens. How do I change it?

The Encore was my stove when I first signed up with Hearth.com.

If you are concerned about your firebrick, shut it down of a day or two and glue the fire brick together with furnace cement. I use this when one of mine breaks, last me about 3 months before I need to re-do, in your weather yours should easily last a year.

In one of our stoves, the firebrick has been broken for years. There are a dozen or so bricks and maybe four of them are cracked clear through. Unless it bugs you to see the broken bricks, don't worry about it. Go ahead and use the stove. The bricks are there to buffer the heat reaching the metal. Cracked bricks still do this. Now, if big chunks of the bricks begin to break off, then you have to replace them.

In one of our stoves, the firebrick has been broken for years. There are a dozen or so bricks and maybe four of them are cracked clear through. Unless it bugs you to see the broken bricks, don't worry about it. Go ahead and use the stove.
Ditto......As long as you are still putting a buffer between the fire and the metal, no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.