my echo cs400 died on me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schwaggly

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2009
n.shore ma
my echo wouldn't run it would start and idle but when I tried to rev it up it cut off. I ran it earlier in the week just fine. When I started it oil was pissing out of it I tried to adjust the oil flow but the adjusting screw snapped, I was ready to do the same. I then drained the oil and the gas, well after I counted to ten a couple of times. I returned the saw to HD in the original box no reciept=store credit. $299. Not sure where to go from here do I get another one and run it into the ground and repeat the process? any ideas? Oh, BTW I'm kinda broke right now but have 2.5 years worth of wood CSS.

wow 2.5 years of wood, I would wait til tax time for the saw.

smokinjay said:

I was expecting "WOW only 2.5 years supply, rob a gas station"

schwaggly said:
smokinjay said:

I was expecting "WOW only 2.5 years supply, rob a gas station"

my thinking was tax time is only a few weeks off then get a bad @ss saw and really not even miss a beat whit a hi pro saw

I'm going to go drool at a dolmar 6400 now. I have a very cool dolmar dealer closer to me than a snobby stihl dealer. The stihl dealer acts like he is doing me a favor when he is overcharging me then gets pissed when I call him on it.
I'm looking to max out at a 28" bar only as second bar and only as needed. Dolmar say up to a 32" bar on the site that seems like a stretch. While its clone makita 6401 maxes out at 24" $499 @baileys.

anyway off to the dolmar dealer I go.

schwaggly said:
I'm going to go drool at a dolmar 6400 now. I have a very cool dolmar dealer closer to me than a snobby stihl dealer. The stihl dealer acts like he is doing me a favor when he is overcharging me then gets pissed when I call him on it.
I'm looking to max out at a 28" bar only as second bar and only as needed. Dolmar say up to a 32" bar on the site that seems like a stretch. While its clone makita 6401 maxes out at 24" $499 @baileys.

I would go 7900 if you want to get that 28in. bar moving

Keep an eye on Craigslist I picked up several saws in my lineup there including my 056 ($100) my 036 ($250) and my MS440 ($420) you just have to be patient and keep an eye out for a bargain.

If I were you, I'd sit on that $300 credit at Home Depot and pop in every now and again waiting for when they sell refurbished Makita 6401's after a dozen or so rentals. These are fine Dolmar-made saws that are in Makita blue.

http://www.homedepotrents.com/diyTools/chainsaw.asp

Doesn't happen too often, but they can be had for a song.

CL and yard sales are also places where I've made great equipment scores.

I'm sitting on the $3. I've called all the HDs within 50 miles already and will continue to do so. The 6400 red or blue is the one for me and I think the 24" is plenty after seeing a 28" in person. Crwfrd there are a few of us cyclists on here I've noticed, I may need to change my username to indicate my lifestyle. It's kind of funny the money I spend on bikes and I'm so hesitant to buy a real saw from a real shop. Would I buy a bike at walmart, homedepot or Lowes?
One is allowed to derail there own threads?

Spend the $300. on extra insulation for your house.
What is with the big bar syndrome ? I live in big hardwood country and have never needed more than a 20" bar on the Husqvarna 365. I can see a 24" if your felling alot, but just blocking wood why so big?

mainstation said:
Spend the $300. on extra insulation for your house.
What is with the big bar syndrome ? I live in big hardwood country and have never needed more than a 20" bar on the Husqvarna 365. I can see a 24" if your felling alot, but just blocking wood why so big?

My buddy and I struck a deal with a tree co. that shreds the most of tree for pellets. Alot of the stuff that doesn't fit in the shredder is larger than 40" so a 20"is too short.
I plan on getting a 20" but I need a 24" first.

I just started kicking around the idea of a stihl MS 390 $459 bar size up to 25" not sure what size bar it come with if any instead of the red 6400 $699 with 24" cool local dealer or $499 w/ 20" blue @ baileys.
I don't care for my local stihl dealer so I'll just go to NH and skip the sales tax if I go with the stihl. All of this will go into effect when I get some cash.

schwaggly said:
I just started kicking around the idea of a stihl MS 390 $459 bar size up to 25" not sure what size bar it come with if any instead of the red 6400 $699 with 24" cool local dealer or $499 w/ 20" blue @ baileys.
I don't care for my local stihl dealer so I'll just go to NH and skip the sales tax if I go with the stihl. All of this will go into effect when I get some cash.

This guy's been posting a lot on CL. Don't know anything about him or his operation. But if you're closer to Newburyport/Rowley, then Exeter is a pretty easy drive:

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/1498646167.html

CrawfordCentury said:
schwaggly said:

This guy's been posting a lot on CL. Don't know anything about him or his operation. But if you're closer to Newburyport/Rowley, then Exeter is a pretty easy drive:

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/1498646167.html

I bought an ms260 from them. Very good price and service.

peterc38 said:
I bought an ms260 from them. Very good price and service.

Is he a licensed stihl dealer liquidating his inventory? If not, how's he get his supply?

I called that guy up, and the price he quoted me was within $10 of the dealer I bought my first saw from. Schwaggly, if you're looking for a dealer suggestion in Nashua or Hudson, let me know.

S

schwaggly said:

Just because the Stihl dealer is a d_ck doesn't make Dolmar a better saw.

I'm just sayin' . . .

Bigg_Redd said:
schwaggly said:

Just because the Stihl dealer is a d_ck doesn't make Dolmar a better saw.

I'm just sayin' . . .

I never said it did make dolmar better. I did say however "I don’t care for my local stihl dealer so I’ll just go to NH and skip the sales tax if I go with the stihl."

CrawfordCentury said:
If I were you, I'd sit on that $300 credit at Home Depot and pop in every now and again waiting for when they sell refurbished Makita 6401's after a dozen or so rentals. These are fine Dolmar-made saws that are in Makita blue.

http://www.homedepotrents.com/diyTools/chainsaw.asp

Doesn't happen too often, but they can be had for a song.

CL and yard sales are also places where I've made great equipment scores.

(NJ) HDTR does not sell refurbished ones, they are used. And after 3 years use, is when they sell them.
Next time you are in tool rental, go to the saws and look at the date on the handle, this will give you an estimate as to when they may be coming up for sale. HD Main office (Georgia) will email tool rental with a list of tools for sale @1 week b4 the next month.
HDTR does sell brand new ones too. Special order.
From what I've seen, your better off with a new saw.

picked up a Makita 6401 at the rental center at HD for $141. I used my store credit and have $ left over. I called and the guy said he had 3 eligible for sale so I hightailed it over there. Only 1 of the 3 was in good working order. It started right up and sounded great. The guy swapped out the air filter and spark plug for me, gave me a sprocket thingy. He also ran a compresion test which came out at 120 and 140 with the low compression button pushed in. I asked to do it without the button pushed and it came out to a little over 170. He said the spec for new is 180. It has a 20 inch bar and a safety chain for now. I'm pysched!

Status
Not open for further replies.