My first "legitimate" overnighter in my Kozy Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_dude

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Southern WI
Well, I am finally burning 24/7 after a warm spell early last week has finally given way to a Wisconsin fall. Last night, I achieved my first real overnight burn. I loaded it up just before 9 p.m. The house was at 72 degrees. I let it burn for 20 minutes or so, and cranked the intake down. At 6 a.m. this morning, the house was still 70 degrees. I couldn't believe the amount of hot coals I had. I shoveled half of them out. Pulled the other hot coals to the front, and loaded it down with wood again. Within a couple of minutes, I had fire again! This is the first time I was able to restart without any tinder or kindling. I can't believe I can pull 9 hour burn times with my Kozy Heat. The most amazing part is, the biggest split I put in last night was cottonwood! I wonder what I will get when I start burning my oak and elm?

Anyway, happy burning. I just wanted to share my success story. I couldn't be happier with this unit--it is absolutely great.

Congratulations! Your more patient than me about getting it going again. I use 1 or 2 pieces of broken pallet to create the inferno immediately. I've been impressed with how easy these new epa stoves burn. I had never seen a good overnight burn till I got the Lopi. I can't wait till it keeps cold here so I can run it hard.

Sounds like you're set for winter. Time for some pictures of that beauty!

Did you duct heat out from the fireplace to a remote part of house? If so, how is that working?

the_dude said:
Well, I am finally burning 24/7 after a warm spell early last week has finally given way to a Wisconsin fall. Last night, I achieved my first real overnight burn. I loaded it up just before 9 p.m. The house was at 72 degrees. I let it burn for 20 minutes or so, and cranked the intake down. At 6 a.m. this morning, the house was still 70 degrees. I couldn't believe the amount of hot coals I had. I shoveled half of them out. Pulled the other hot coals to the front, and loaded it down with wood again. Within a couple of minutes, I had fire again! This is the first time I was able to restart without any tinder or kindling. I can't believe I can pull 9 hour burn times with my Kozy Heat. The most amazing part is, the biggest split I put in last night was cottonwood! I wonder what I will get when I start burning my oak and elm?

Anyway, happy burning. I just wanted to share my success story. I couldn't be happier with this unit--it is absolutely great.

Congrats on your first overnight burn! However, don't ever remove those beautiful red hot coals....that is wasted energy! When you have too many red hot coals, you should simply "crack" the front door a little to get a nice stiff narrow draft across those red hot coals in front. Then every 15 minutes or so, you keep pulling the red hot coals forward from back to front until the level of coals is at manageable level. Then you would load that baby up again to begin the next burn cycle....

Kev

BeGreen said:
Sounds like you're set for winter. Time for some pictures of that beauty!

Did you duct heat out from the fireplace to a remote part of house? If so, how is that working?

Unfortunately, I learned about that option too late. That was the only area my dealer disappointed my in. The never even mentioned that option. I don't know if it would have worked, but I would have loved to duct heat into the basement. Any bit would help there. The upper level to my home is so open, that it is not necessary at all.

Whoo Hooo! Success! Not sure why your taking red hot coals out of the stove though. If they are too thick, push them to the edge or into the corners, but don't waste 'em.

Jags said:
Whoo Hooo! Success! Not sure why your taking red hot coals out of the stove though. If they are too thick, push them to the edge or into the corners, but don't waste 'em.

Thanks for the tip on the coals. Normally, I wouldn’t remove any. But burning cottonwood makes this a challenge, as it seems to create a tremendous amount of ash. I was basically trying to get some of the ash out, which wasn’t possible without removing some of the coals. If I don’t remove some of the ash, I would hardly have room for more wood. If I leave coals throughout the firebox, it seems to burn the load too fast. I don’t think this will be an issue when I finish up the cottonwood I have, but it is a point well taken. I will try the cracking the door when I have more time (like the evening), but in the morning, it time is crunched and it is always a rush to load it up and get ready for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.