Help! Kozy Z42 burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mustang

Jan 3, 2024
Georgia
Hi all- running out of ideas and looking for some help. We have had our Kozy Z42CD for roughly 10 years and have been happy with it so far. I haven’t had to replace anything until recently. I’ve noticed that my burn times are terrible now (along with other quirks that have started) and am hoping someone can help. Up to this point I have replaced the door gasket where the cast iron doors meet (original gasket finally broke in half) and the dollar bill test failed on the right door so I replaced that gasket as well. I just replaced the refractory panel above the burn tubes too.

When we initially got the Kozy I could load it before bed around 11 (roughly 3 splits) and in the morning there were plenty of coals to throw a split in and get going again. Now with the same 3 splits I barely have enough coals after 3-4 hours to get it going and have to baby it when I try. I was hoping that the right door gasket replacement was my problem but it doesn’t seem to be the case. It feels that I’m still getting too much air, even though dollar bill test feels good now, however I’m struggling when trying to relight after 4 hours and what seems to be enough coals.

My wood is primo (3 year oak, not sure of moisture content but it’s plenty dry)- I did try some newer white oak that was split 1.5 years ago but didn’t seem quite ready as I really struggled to get it going. My chimney is around 14 feet and doesn’t appear to be pulling excessively Chimney was cleaned around 2 years ago (never get more than a cup of flakey stuff). At this point I’m not sure what else to look at. I didn’t replace the left door gasket since dollar bill test had plenty of tug of it, plus Kozy uses a silicone caulk to hold the gasket and is a royal pain to remove. I used Rutland for both the right door seal and seal where doors meet in the middle. I’m waving the white flag now so any ideas are appreciated!

Is the new refractory panel sealing well, especially toward the back?

Was the replacement door gasket replaced using OEM gasket? Third party gaskets can be a different density and leaky.

Are the secondary tubes in good condition, no cracks?

Check the glass gaskets. Are the door windows still snugly in place or can they easily be moved by holding them on the inside and outside?

Is the new refractory panel sealing well, especially toward the back?

Was the replacement door gasket replaced using OEM gasket? Third party gaskets can be a different density and leaky.

Are the secondary tubes in good condition, no cracks?

Check the glass gaskets. Are the door windows still snugly in place or can they easily be moved by holding them on the inside and outside?
I didn’t use OEM gaskets- density of new gasket seems close to the old one but could possibly be an issue. I kept the old gasket and still have some of the new gasket- I’ll compare densities between the two.

Refractory panel- looks like it basically just rests on top of the burn tubes. It has to set far back enough to put the metal retainer in up front so I think it’s far back enough but worth double checking.

Haven’t noticed anything obvious with the burn tubes but I can give them a closer look.

Glass gaskets were something I wondered also- I did lose one of the glass clips on the left door but from what I can tell the glass seems to be snug. Problem another thing I can put eyes on again once the weather warms a little and I have let it cool off.

Thanks for the ideas- hopefully one of these is the culprit.

The baffle lays on the tubes, and has a certain position it has to lay. It’s noted in the instructions. Then the bricks go on top of the baffle. Is that how yours is? The missing glass clip is very suspect to me.

The baffle board is installed correctly- it has a “wedge” side for the right side burn tubes. I have ordered an OEM door gasket kit as well as a glass gasket kit. I also went ahead and ordered a set of glass clips so I could rule that out. I did sweep the chimney the other day- took the cap off and didn’t see anything but went ahead and swept it since I was up there already, got maybe a cup of dry stuff. Once I receive and install everything hopefully one of those will be the ticket.

Reactions: webby3650