my first stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hofmann

Jun 27, 2014
medowie, nsw, Australia
20140627_085753.jpg 20140627_085912.jpg

Hi all. I just bought this due to love at first sight but there are some issues. Mainly that it leaks like a sieve. There's flaky rust in the panel joints and the sides have a bit of outward bowing at the back

Can I seal it up without tearing it down? It's meant to be for an outdoor undercover area so maybe doesn't need to be perfect...

Also if anyone knows what it is?

I am in Australia

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
20140628_082008.jpg 20140628_082054.jpg
Here are some pictures of the back with the bowing.

There are a couple of reasons I don't want to tear it down. I think it is a reproduction so probably isn't worth that much. I am freezing right now and want it up and running and finally, the screws really don't want to come out.

I would even consider fitting a kitchen exhaust fan to keep the smoke down while it starts, would the leaking stop once chimney starts drawing?

Would a silicone or putty applied from the outside do the job?

If my brother came to me with this stove I would tell him to scrap it. It's warping badly and that's just its current state of being. This isn't going to get better.

Putting a very hot fire in one's home needs to be taken seriously. You want it to be safe to run and controllable. So far this stove strikes out on both points.

Does the house already have a chimney or are you starting from scratch?

Outdoors would be much safer. The stove may be hard to control, but still enjoyable for some outdoor warmth.

I guess I'm mainly wondering if high temp silicone or stove putty would work applied from the outside. And if so for how long?

Alternatively what about the kitchen range hood/extraction fan idea? I would only be happy with that if it was only for starting it up

In the current state the issue is the fire wants to blaze at full strength due to the inflow of air from the warpage. Smoke will be an issue only if the flue is very short.

Can you post a picture of the location? Is this area attached to the house? If so there are still high risks. High temp silicone is not appropriate for the red hot temps that are going to happen. This stove is shot. Stove/furnace cement may work temporarily, but the risk is still there. It would be better to clean it up and put it somewhere in a parlor without fire if the look is what is still attractive.

All silicone goes "poof" at eight hundred degrees. Useless for stoves or stove pipe. You can lather the seams with furnace cement. Just don't burn in that thing around anything you can't live without if it burns down.

Unfortunately we are out for the rest of the day but will get some pics when I get home. Yes, it is attached to the house.

Can you explain what the dangers are? Is it smoke related or fire?

If there is anything I should read so I don't ask dumb questions, do tell.

Ask away, your safety is most important.

The primary issue will be a stove you have little control over. That is, you put dry fuel in, light it and off it goes at full strength. Other issues may exist with clearances or the flue system, but so far all we have seen is the stove. Though the deteriorated flue collar hints of additional issues.

Heh guys, I just can't figure out how it is going to burn anything down. Are you saying fire could come out of the gaps. Is it going to collapse or melt?

I don't really care about being able to control it and most the time it will have door open for radiant heat.

Especially considering that rusted flue, I feel like treating it as an open fire and just putting an open fire style hood over it. Then I don't have to worry about the flue being perfectly sealed or the other gaps...?

This sort of thing except with the hood higher and painted black. I could still fit a flue to the heater and run it up inside the hood flue

Attachments

• 20140629_094840.jpg
    20140629_094840.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 148
i don't see what that hood would do. The problem is that it could potentially be uncontrollable which could lead to a severe over fie that can cause many problems. For example extreme warping or cracking of cast panels which could let fire out. Severe over heating of the pipe and flue which could ignite nearby materials. The stove is beat it would be ok to use outside basically as a fire pit and not near any flammable structure. It isn't worth the risk

an open fireplace is a totally different structure with totally different burning characteristics the two are not comparable at all

Ok, I see. That sucks. Looks like I will just use that open fire place hood with a grate in the out door area. It is going against the back wall in the photo, pretty much where the window is. I am redoing the wall in rustic corrugated iron. The couches will move in there too

I also need to fill in the sand pit, just not sure if I should try something awesome like a rocket stove or hydronic floor heating with the hole. Feel free to throw ideas at me, its about 3 feet deep

I still love my busted old Cinderella stove and want to try to use it in a more open area. Regardless where it is, is there anything I can/should do to avoid an overfire?20140629_113214.jpg 20140629_113232.jpg

Are there children also in this house or do you live alone? I have to be blunt, don't do this. There is not a safe aspect in your plan.

Reactions: bholler
Virtually everything. The stove is completely unsafe and at end of life. A hood is not the solution, a safe class A insulated chimney is required.

Reactions: bholler
If it were my house i would not use that "fireplace hood" there either. Acctually you could not get me to light a fife in either of them within 10 feet of my house.

Ok, fair enough but that's why I'm here and i haven't actually done anything yet. I live in a warm climate so I don't have much knowledge but I think I'm being pretty careful.

Are you saying if you have kids you shouldn't have an open fire place? Even with a screen?

You can absolutely have a properly built fireplace that is properly maintained with proper clearances and if the hearth is as deep as it should be a screen isn't even that necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.