my first stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess if there was enough clearance around that hood it might be ok but you could never get me to use it in my house. And by enough clearance i mean a minimum of 3 feet in every direction to anything combustible and a solid cement floor under it. And even at that i would still not recommend it.

Ok. Maybe this helps. The window will be gone, the wall will be metal. The other photo is 180 degree view. The hood has a double skin if that makes a difference. The floor will be concrete or stone. I can build a hearth. I can maintain clearances in terms of furniture

20140629_120859.jpg 20140629_120912.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, fair enough but that's why I'm here and i haven't actually done anything yet. I live in a warm climate so I don't have much knowledge but I think I'm being pretty careful.

Are you saying if you have kids you shouldn't have an open fire place? Even with a screen?

The more people that can be harmed if something goes wrong, the more I get concerned. A proper fireplace is not at all what we have been discussing so far. Everything discussed is about jerry-rigging used stuff together for a purpose it was never intended for.

Maybe start from scratch as if you hadn't bought this stove. What is the goal, what is the budget?

The goal is a cosy outdoor living room. We have just moved to the country and liked the idea of real fire. Until now we just ran gas or electric patio heaters. The budget is limited in that the fire will be competing against a $200 patio heater. Nonetheless, I am obviously open to suggestions.

Ok the walls may be covered in metal but are they framed with wood? If they are that metal skin means nothing the wood behind it can catch really easily. Are there any installation instructions or clearances listed for that hood?

The patio heater already wins hands down. It is tested, affordable and ready to go.

Yes, wood framing. There is a 1 inch gap between the inner and outer layer and it's all round the hood. The flue is also double with a third through the roof. It's made in Australia by burning log but I have no instructions at this point

If that unit was tested and you have the specs and follow them it might be ok but i still would not use it. And those metal walls with wood framing are considered flammable walls just the same as if they were sided in wood.

From scratch one possibility I would consider is building a masonry fireplace with proper clearances and chimney.

That thing should not go near any habitable structure. Would not want to use that stove at all given its defects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also though, would you mind explaining what the problem is with the hood?

There may not be a problem but without having the specifications for that unit you need to go with very large clearances like i said 3 feet all around it. Non of us here know that particular unit i have seen allot of similar units here made in the 70s and the only reason most of the ones i saw had not burnt the house down was because they were almost never used. The one you have may be better but i cant tell from the pics.

Ok, that's probably not going to happen. Thanks again for your help

In lieu of that, look for a quality used stove like a Jotul 3 or 8 or F400 and install it with an adequate height, proper chimney. A Jotul Combifire would also work. Be prepared that the chimney may cost more than the stove.

That "hood" looks to me like it might be part of a metal fireplace assembly that is missing its base. If so it would look something like this when new. This might be an acceptable alternative if you can get one complete and properly pass it through the roof.
cone fireplace.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.